Building A Boss FS-5L Footswitch

Started by UnderTheGroove, August 25, 2010, 05:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnderTheGroove

I'd like to build my own clone of a Boss FS-5L to get the same function in a smaller pedal.

I have been using a Boss FS-5L footswitch to as a channel switcher. I have two amps and this switch works with both, but I have to change the polarity of the LED to make it correspond with the distortion channel of each amp. I am running out of room on my pedalboard, so I'd like to build this in a small enclosure. I have built a couple of pedals using kits, but have no experience reading circuit diagrams. My question is what type of switches would I need to use (stomp switch and toggle for LED) to build the pedal using this schematic?

Thanks for any assistance!

jkokura

You need a latching DPDT switch, a 3mm diffused LED, a 220ohm resistor, a 1/4" TRS (Stereo) jack, the enclosure, and some wire.

UnderTheGroove

Thanks jkokura!

So SW-2 would be the DPDT stompswitch - correct? Is SW-1 also a DPDT? It seems like it may be this: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=37. For ease of drilling the enclosure, I should be able to substitute this switch?: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=40

DiscoVlad

SW1 is the DPDT stomp switch

SW2 is an spdt slide/toggle switch to select in which state (that SW1 is in) the LED lights up.

UnderTheGroove

Thanks for the clarification DiscoVlad!

CasterPaul

What do the two boards represent? J-1 is the jack right? What's the deal with sum-3 1.5vx2. and can you explain what the dots with number 1, 2 , and 3 represent? Thanks for your wisdom. are the lines by the switches the poles, and the dotted line by the dpdt a jumper? also, doesn't a dpdt have 9 lugs?

sincerely,
Newby

UnderTheGroove

Hi CasterPaul

I'll let someone more knowledgeable give you better answers, but I'll add a couple comments to bump the topic. I believe the sum-3 1.5x2 refers to the two AA batteries used in this pedal. There are not two physical boards in the pedal I have, but maybe another version did have two boards?

Fender3D

My old FS-5L has 2 board, one under the switch "enclosure", and one with the jack and polarity switch mounted.
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

dmc777

I've been looking for a schematic for one of these thanks for posting. I'm curious what those dotted lines are on the switch as well. Also, wouldn't a mono jack be needed?

I have an FS-5U that I took apart and looked at last night. These things don't run off batteries....atleast the unlatched doesn't. Also, the 5U's board is double sided. It has 3 jumpers, 2 of which run come from the polarity switch to the regular switch which has 6 lugs. There's a jumper next to it that doesn''t go to anything and the 3rd lug from the polarity switch goes to the 3 lug jack.

Could anyone draw this up using standard parts and standard schematics? It's be much appreciated.

UnderTheGroove

I started building this tonight. I have the enclosure drilled and all of the parts mounted. I'll have to finish wiring it up tomorrow, but I'm hoping to get some last questions answered about the dpdt footswitch. It looks like the wire from the sleeve of the jack (J-1) will attach to the footswitch and get jumpered to a second connection as well. Is this correct? I'm still not clear what the dotted line is. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks again to everyone who has helped out a beginner.

Quackzed

that dotted line is just to indicate that 'both' throws are connected- that they both change. dont wire them together. just ignore the dotted line, unless your driving ;). and jack 1 ,the tip goes to the middle pole of switch 2, and the ring goes to that number 2 that shows how the 2 boards are connected together,then on to split and connect to both middle poles of switch 1, so it looks like the middle poles of the switch are already connected by a solid line, making wiring the dotted line unnecessary anyway...
hope that helped.
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

ppaappoo

hello I don't understand the scheme, could someone draw one easier please?

thanks bye

jkokura

What about it is confusing for you? It's a fairly simple drawing, and it's unlikely anyone will be able to redraw it in a simpler way. It is what it is. Are you having trouble with the crossing wires?

Perhaps, if I might suggest, you should try to redraw the schematic for yourself. If you did that, and then posted it for us to verify, perhaps then you would understand the circuit better. Just a suggestion. There are plenty of helpers here, and we'd be happy to help you understand, but don't necessarily like doing your work for you.

Jacob

UnderTheGroove

I built my switch and have some problems. I thought I understood the schematic, but I've obviously made a mistake. The switch does change channels on my amp, but the LED will not light up. Flipping the LED polarity switch also causes the amp channel to change. Any help would be appreciated!

Note: there are no batteries in the pedal in the photo, but I did have batteries in it while testing.

Govmnt_Lacky

Looks like you have it wired as per the schem. My guess is a bad/cold solder joint involving the LED or a bad LED itself.

Measure voltage between the LED and resistor with a DMM and also test the entire signal path of the LED.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Fender3D

hmmm ... reversing jack's tip and ring?
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

ppaappoo

Let me think, when I put a mono cable into the jack close circuit to avoid draining the battery when not using the pedal. then the DPDT just connect the sleeve with the tip and finally the SPDT lets you choose if the LED lights in one or another position of the DPDT

So, if i just want a box with a footswitch without led, then I can use a foot type SPDT just for join the sleeve with the tip? because the function of the whole pedal is that, "join the sleeve with the tip"

Quackzed

Yep. thats it.
for that, you could even just use a spst footswitch, as you only need to connect/unconnect 1 pole.
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

UnderTheGroove

I'm not sure what I did wrong the first time I tested it, but when I put the batteries back in to debug it worked fine. I'm sure it was user error of some sort!

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

ppaappoo

Quote from: UnderTheGroove on October 06, 2010, 11:25:48 AM
I'm not sure what I did wrong the first time I tested it, but when I put the batteries back in to debug it worked fine. I'm sure it was user error of some sort!

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Will not work whit your amp because the sw is for a boss pedal.
What amp do you have? and what do you do whit the sw?