controlling 3 pedals with 1 tap tempo pedal...again

Started by ppatchmods, August 26, 2010, 04:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppatchmods

i've seen these topics on here a lot latlely but none of them seem to have a solution. if the pedals are 2 boss delays and 1 line6, the polarity is different. can this be done with some sort of clever diode arrangement, or will it have to be a micro controller? thanks
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

Processaurus

I've been thinking about it a little more, and if all of them just use a NO momentary switch to connect to tip to ground, then they could all run their tips through series diodes to the switch, and then the other end of the switch out to the sleeves (ground), which can all be connected together.

If they expect different polarity switches, NC and NO, then you'll need some active electronics to flip the polarity, but something quite simple like a transistor. If someone was clever they could figure out how to make it only take power when the switch was being held down, and run it off of a watch battery or something.

ppatchmods

this is kinda redneck (which i have been accused of a few times in my life...from arkansas) but you could mount 2 tap switches (1 NC and 1 NO) really close to each other in the box and wire accordingly.

YouAre

ashcat_lt

Quote from: YouAre on August 27, 2010, 10:05:30 AM
Maybe a momentary DPDT could work somehow?
That's what I was thinking!  For the ones which need NO, put the tip and sleeve on the outside lugs which are only connected when the switch is depressed.  For those that are NC, put them on the other outside lugs.  Jumper the commons.  Done.

But...Will the control voltages interact?

ianmgull

I'm on a never ending quest to unite all of my tap tempo pedals  ;D

I've gotten two Line 6 echo parks synced by using a momentary DPDT (each pedal on it's own pole). This works by momentarily making a connection (not sure what) to ground. Even though I'm using the same pedal and the same switch they come out of calibration in about a dozen or so cycles. (I assume this is because of switch bounce)

I've been away from the boards for a while but I've noticed a lot of tap tempo chips around now. Could one of these be used? If so, how difficult would it be possible to account for the many different types of internal tempo control. For example:

Line 6 Echo Park: Some connection momentarily connects to ground

while on the other hand there are pedals like

Empress SuperDelay: Uses a latching tap switch as opposed to the more common momentary.

Could we use one of these tap tempo chips to send out the necessary signal to all of the various tempo recognition signal to the various pedals via one switch??

Processaurus

Actually you could just use a SPDT momentary switch, and the diodes:

NC        Common
Jack 3   --------------------------------o<------o---┐                                                                                                            |
Jack 1   -------►|----------┬-------------o         GND                                                
Jack 2   -------►|----------┘             NO              

ppatchmods

is that a diode on the NC lead and is it cathode tot he left(toward the jack)?

Processaurus

ppatchmods

ok...i see what you did there. i'll give it a go. thanks

ppatchmods

should i add a diode on the NC side with cathode to tip to keep the line clean? would it help to keep the signal from coming back through the jack and throwing the taps out of sink? thanks

Processaurus

Quote from: ppatchmods on September 08, 2010, 12:21:39 PM
should i add a diode on the NC side with cathode to tip to keep the line clean? would it help to keep the signal from coming back through the jack and throwing the taps out of sink? thanks

Nope, no need for a diode on the NC side.  There is no electrical connection between it and the others, other than ground.

ppatchmods

thanks for the help! what if i am wiring 2 NC and 1 NO? should i use a diode then? thanks

Processaurus

To have two NC and one NO (though most tap tempo pedals want a NO switch) you'd change nothing about the above simple schematic, except switch the labels NC and NO.  The diodes are like oneway streets so there's no way for the pedals that are connected together by jack 1 and 2 to interact with each other.