Drill bit size for mounting 3pdt to pcb?

Started by fatfoohy, August 26, 2010, 09:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatfoohy

Could somebody tell me what size drill bit that i need to use to drill a pcb for mounting a 3pdt switch directly to it? i've seen it used for some 1590a pcb's and would love to do some of my own.  Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
having leftover parts is just proof that you made it better!!!!

Processaurus

fatfoohy

right, it's a 15/32 for mounting the switch to the enclosure, but i want to solder the pins to the pcb directly, does anybody know?

Derringer

I've always wired my 3pdt's by hand but if I were in your shoes I'd just eye up a bit next to the 3pdt's lugs and start there. If it's too small then you go one bit larger.

If you're afraid of over-drilling on your first pass then start with a bit that you know for sure is too small and then work your way up one bit at a time.
Once you find the exact size, write it down for future reference.

.Mike

I can measure the pin dimensions of one with a digital caliper if you would like. Just let me know. :)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

Taylor

My digital caliper says .082" wide, which I guess is about 13/16?

G

You'd all probably find there are fewer hoops to jump through if you measured the switch in millimetres like the manufacturer did.

The pins at the bottom are 2mm (nominal, possibly tight due to tolerances).

The reason the top end is loose in a half inch hole is that it's not half an inch, it's 12mm.

Every dimension of these 3PDTs is (supposed to be) a nice round exact figure in millimetres.  Occasionally you need to widen a hole slightly due to variances but it's probably easier to use metric drill bits.

Hides-His-Eyes

What I love is how the sellers then convert them back to inches, so then I have to convert them BACK to millimetres, by which point I am looking for an "11.9mm" drill bit and I think "someone done goofed."  ::)

fatfoohy

hmmm.....so .082, ooh, conveniently a #45 drill bit, i'll try it out and report back asap! thanks for your help guys

Hides-His-Eyes

I know my constant tirades against non-metric measurements are as welcome and helpful as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest, but is there any reason things like wire and drill bits are numbered in such an opaque fashion?

Is there some kind of short way of thinking about them that lets you know "probably after 24awg" or do you just have to get used to what the different kinds are like?

wire here is sold morelike 7/0.2 or 1/0.6, which are 7 core and solid core of 0.2mm^2 and 0.6mm^2 respectively; is there an easy way to think about AWG and drill bit #s or are you guys just used to them?

fatfoohy

to be honest,  all i know is that 24 AWG fits in a #59 hole, and i use a #59 for all my wire and component holes, so i dont mess around with using a bunch of different bits, minus this second bit of course