Digital multi-effects unit in Sept10 ELEKTOR

Started by StephenGiles, August 27, 2010, 04:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

radio

Hi

I bought the german version of this monthes elektor. As they state ,it just gets as high as 15kHz ,I assume you could use it

in a guitar-amps send-return, but better not on a mixing desk. However,you can buy a complete pre-programmed kit, it s

really tempting except(for me) one point. How do you solder the SMD processor with "normal" solderstation?

I just never tried it, any advice?

Greets Jean-Marie
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

dune2k

I read that wrapping a (copper) wire around the solder iron's tip works. Haven't tried it yet though. :)

octfrank

Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

Johan

Quote from: radio on August 27, 2010, 05:01:22 AM
. As they state ,it just gets as high as 15kHz ,I assume you could use it

in a guitar-amps send-return, but better not on a mixing desk.

Greets Jean-Marie

why not..many, many professional vocal mic's dont go any higher than that without complaints and most people cant hear much above that anyway...
J
DON'T PANIC

radio

@ octfrank: thanks for the link.

@Johan:  I used to have an Boss SE-50 that with 32kHz sampling rate also recorded up to 15kHz

and I was allergic to it s quality after a while.Fortunatly it  also had  single effects

at 48kHz sample  rates which were top.

2 things I didn't consider: I guess the FV-1 may/should have better oversampling

If you record/convert later to mp3 ,it shouldn't really matter.

Anyway , if their are more arguments  ,I ll be please  to learn.

Regards Jean-Marie
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

peterv999

Quote from: radio on August 27, 2010, 05:01:22 AM
Hi

I bought the german version of this monthes elektor. As they state ,it just gets as high as 15kHz ,I assume you could use it

in a guitar-amps send-return, but better not on a mixing desk. However,you can buy a complete pre-programmed kit, it s

really tempting except(for me) one point. How do you solder the SMD processor with "normal" solderstation?

I just never tried it, any advice?

Greets Jean-Marie

Jean-Marie,
I'm puzzled by the fact that a guitar's bandwidth is within the 15Khz range I think. Is is correct to assume this 15Khz is outside this discussion for guitar?
Also, The German design is without preamp as it's designer is a keyboard player.

Regards. pieta

radio

It s good to remind it has no preamp.
But you simply misunderstood my point!
I said it was ok for send-return,so why should I assume it s not good for guitar?
For instance if you buy the new engl gigmaster 15 that has no reverb ,it should be useful.
I d never use digital effects in front of the amp even line 6 but that s just a matter
of taste. A disadvantage of many elektor projects for musicians is that they are not
designed by/with the help of musicians.In my opinion non of their distortions need to
be build. In this case they ve done better.

As for the soldering of smd ,I was send a link meanwhile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uiroWBkdFY

JM

Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!