Calling RG...

Started by RedHouse, August 30, 2010, 02:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHouse

I want to post confirmation and appology's regarding the C14-Q10 issue.

I have just confirmed RG's version of the uni-vibe schematic regarding the C14-Q10 connection is correct, so then obviously my position on the schematic was incorrect.  

I got some very decent pics courtesy of M.H. of the trace side of a CV-2 board which is a rev-2 uni-vibe unit with the single pad foot controller like sample "B" in the pic below:
(MH is not Mark Hammer)

And here is the trace side of the PCB with the parts overlayed, and a zoom-in to positively identify, and in this case, confirm RG's schematic is correct and the Shin-Ei schem has the error.

I stand and raise my glass to RG with my applogy's.

No one likes to eat-crow in public, and I'm no exception, but since I've so vigorously debated this with RG it only seems right to share my findings here even though they are not in my favor.  :icon_redface:

I'll need to go update my Forum-Vibe PDF in the next few days to reflect that the OEM schematic is the mod not the other way around, so any of you who have the old PDF, give me a few days and then re-download if you wish, sorry for the error in the PDF.

This should have no impact on the v1 Forum-Vibe board builders, or the v2 Forum-Vibe board builders, they both have the correct connections available and only the documentation needs to be edited.

RG, if you want I can add a shout-out in the Forum-Vibe PDF for the error catch along with my confirmation, it's up to you just say.

-Brad

Pierre

It seems that now I have 4 Forum Vibe pcb's...2 R4 pre-2010.07.04 update and 2 "updated" ones... :icon_rolleyes: so, which version should I build ?
...or they are both incorrect..?

Pierre

...suddenly I feel so stupid...I hate you !  :icon_mrgreen:

RedHouse

Quote from: Pierre on August 30, 2010, 03:40:10 PM

It's an error in documentation only, the boards are fine, don't feel stupid about this, it's all on me.  :icon_wink:

R.G.

Apology accepted. No lingering ill will.

You can note it in the pdf if you want or not, no biggie.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Pierre

Quote from: RedHouse on August 30, 2010, 06:36:24 PM
Quote from: Pierre on August 30, 2010, 03:40:10 PM

It's an error in documentation only, the boards are fine, don't feel stupid about this, it's all on me.  :icon_wink:

I was joking, I love to do PCB's (seriously)...but again, which PCB do I have to use?

RedHouse

Quote from: Pierre on August 31, 2010, 11:19:21 AM
I was joking, I love to do PCB's (seriously)...but again, which PCB do I have to use?

You can use either or both.

The one on the left in your picture is the latest one, the on right is the earlier one.

Both conform to the verified correct layout as discussed in this thread.

The one on the left has two things different:

1.) the solder pads for the light shield are bigger because I had been getting word that people who installed/removed the light shield too often were lifting the pads from over soldering.
2.) the option to have C14 installed according to the schematic or the actual verified circuit (again mentioned in this thread)

Both boards will build a Forum-Vibe that matches the verified circuit as discussed in this thread, so you can build with either of the boards you made.

RedHouse

The Forum-Vibe PDF file has been updated, you can download it here:

http://classicamplification.net/forumvibe/ForumVibe_File.htm

I named the PDF "ForumVibe2.PDF" to people could be clear which version they have.

It was easier to just delete the references to the Q10/C14 issue than add more verbiage, so like any good electron I went with the path of least resistance.

Slagathor7

First I want to say thank you to all who have contributed to the Forum Vibe project. And thank you for ForumVibe2.pdf Brad.  I have just finished building it, although my box is not yet painted, and it sounds great.

I did find some minor discrepancies in version 2 of the ForumVibe2.pdf and would like to contribute back for the benefit of others.

1. There seems to be no mention of C9 (1uf) in the parts list.

2. The number of 47k resistors on the parts list for the "forum mod's build" should be 8 not 7. (R2, R6, R14, R20, R26, R32, R36, R46)

3. There still seem to be some discrepancies with the TR2 and TR3 designations in the pdf.
Pages 4 and 6 show TR2 = 250k and TR3 = 500k. And Page 7 says that the 250k is the bias-offset adjust.
However page 8 says that TR3 should be marked at it's 30% (83k) but 83k X 3 = 250k which is TR2. And Page 9 continues the error when it says "Just as we did with the bias-offset (TR3)...". So page 8 and 9 should be changed to match pages 4, 6 and 7.

4. Now a personal observation. In version1 you showed the option of adding a 4P3T rotary switch for alternate vibe sounds and a 4th option for a Phase 90. In version 2 you removed the Phase 90 option. Not sure why. I included all 4 options in mine by putting the 3 Vibe configurations on the rotary switch and adding a 4PDT toggle to switch between the rotary switch and the Phase 90 option. So when I switch the 4PDT one way it routes to the Rotary switch vibe options and when I switch it the other way it is the Phase 90 sound which I really like as well. So I would like you to re-include it in the pdf, if you want to. Again just a personal observation.

5. Now a question. I saw on one forumvibe demo on youtube that the LED was pulsing with the speed of the vibe. Does anyone know how to hook that up? Can I connect it in parallel with the interior light? Please let me know. I am sure others would like to do that as well. Maybe that could be included in the Forum Vibe instructions.

Thanks to everyone again, I love the vibe.

Notice the 4PDT for the Vibe Rotary switch/Phase90 option in the photo.

Slagathor7

Slagathor7

Well I guess some time has gone by since I posted to this topic. I hope that the updates I mentioned here have been of value to anyone building the forum vibe.

I wanted to show the finished product since I finally got around to taking the pictures. I called it a vortex vibe because of the graphic but it is the forum vibe version 2.

Since the first post I have increased the size of the cap from a 3/4" pipe cap to a 1" pipe cap and put the photo cells directly on the circuit board. With the smaller cap I did not have the room to do it. I have also added a led that flashes at the speed of the vibe setting.

And Red House if you are reading this, are the discrepancies that I found on version 2 of the forum vibe valid? I believe they are but I would like confirmation. Enjoy.

Slagathor7

RedHouse

Looks good, I really like your graphics on the box, mind if I put a pic on my website?

Yeah, sorry about the PDF mistakes, it's been the blooper of the entire project, each file distributed had an error (or errors) somewhere and that's why I finally just put it all up on the website so when an error is found I can correct it and everyones copy gets "updated". I can ceratainly see now why people who publish stuff have a "staff" of editors and proof-readers etc, even though the FV docs are just a few pages those docs have been a super-hastle (for me).

You know originally I had the layout done useing a 1" pipe cap and some folks asked for a slightly smaller board (to fit more enclosures) so I reduced the footprint 10mm each dimension (L-W) and in the process sub'ed out the 1" cap for the 3/4" cap for more boardspace, then to fit the TO5 cans I "tilted" the LDR's to fit inside the 3/4" cap as seen here: http://classicamplification.net/Forumvibe/fv_mod_15.htm

Anyway well done, post some clips if/when you get around to it.

Slagathor7

Hey no problem if you want to put the pictures of my forum vibe (Vortex Vibe) on your website.

As for the pdf mistakes, well, I don't think that anyone who uses your layout minds doing a bit of editing/proofreading.
I just wanted to send back what I found for the benefit of others.

I first had the LDRs standing off the board and at an angle when I used the 3/"4 cap like some of the pics you refereed me to but I used the 1" cap with the LDRs flat on the board anyway because I thought it had a better sound when I was adjusting the trim pots for the bulb. It seemed to me that having the LDRs further away sounded better. Maybe it was just the way I ended up adjusting the trimpots but I don't really think so.

Have you added to your schematics the flashing LED like what I did on mine? I made mine so that the LED flash at the speed of the vibe. I think that it is kind of nice and very easy to do as you probably already know.

Thanks for all of your work on the circuit board design.
I love the vibe.
Slagathor7

RedHouse

Quote from: Slagathor7 on May 02, 2012, 12:57:53 PM...Have you added to your schematics the flashing LED like what I did on mine?...

Which way did your do it?

I have not add that stuff to the Forum-Vibe project doc's because it's better to see it/that (and other great stuff) here:  http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/pedalsUnivibe.html

mth5044

I hadn't seen this thread before, but hey! M.H., that's me! That was a long time ago, sheesh.

...I wonder where I put that uni-vibe....

RedHouse

Quote from: mth5044 on May 02, 2012, 03:55:36 PM
I hadn't seen this thread before, but hey! M.H., that's me! That was a long time ago, sheesh.

...I wonder where I put that uni-vibe....

Hi'ya Matt.

Yeah, since you send me your pics back in 2010 and comparing your pics with the 5 I've had in my shop for service since, well all have had the circuit board with C14 wired like that. I've had older (carbon comp w/single stripe pedals) and newer (carbon film with double-stripe foot pedals) vibes through the shop in these last 2 years, all have C14 as shown. Apparently there was no "CV-1" board which I had thought might be the reason for the schematic error compared to the actual product.  

cthulhudarren

Quote from: Slagathor7 on May 02, 2012, 12:57:53 PM
Hey no problem if you want to put the pictures of my forum vibe (Vortex Vibe) on your website.

Can you please explain how you got those sweet graphics on the pedal enclosure?

Slagathor7

Quote from: cthulhudarren on May 03, 2012, 09:13:58 AM

What I did first was design the graphics in photoshop. Then I had to print some preliminary designs on paper to make sure that everything would be in the right place on my enclosure, i.e. the positions of the labels the knobs and switches. I have a friend who prints graphics for cars and trucks on vinyl that of course has adhesive on the one side. So I had him print up my design on vinyl then I stuck it to my enclosure for the vibe. The "carbon-fiber" vinyl was then wrapped around the outside of the enclosure. That's it.
Slagathor7

cthulhudarren

Quote from: Slagathor7 on May 07, 2012, 12:00:22 PM
Quote from: cthulhudarren on May 03, 2012, 09:13:58 AM

What I did first was design the graphics in photoshop. Then I had to print some preliminary designs on paper to make sure that everything would be in the right place on my enclosure, i.e. the positions of the labels the knobs and switches. I have a friend who prints graphics for cars and trucks on vinyl that of course has adhesive on the one side. So I had him print up my design on vinyl then I stuck it to my enclosure for the vibe. The "carbon-fiber" vinyl was then wrapped around the outside of the enclosure. That's it.

It looks fantastic, Slags!

Slagathor7

Quote from: RedHouse on May 02, 2012, 03:15:56 PM
Quote from: Slagathor7 on May 02, 2012, 12:57:53 PM...Have you added to your schematics the flashing LED like what I did on mine?...

Which way did your do it?

I have not add that stuff to the Forum-Vibe project doc's because it's better to see it/that (and other great stuff) here:  http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/pedalsUnivibe.html

Hey RedHouse,
Sorry for the delay in answering your question.
Here is the way I added the flashing LED. As I mentioned very simple but effective.
You will want to adjust the trimpot for the LED when the intensity knob is at maximum so as not to ruin your LED.

Slagathor7

RedHouse