Thanks & question: best way to test boards after assembly

Started by AutoPRND21, August 31, 2010, 10:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPRND21

Hey all,

First off, first time poster.  (Hello).  I want to say thanks to Aron and everyone for all the info here - this has been a great resource and the wealth of knowledge of people posting here DWARFS my own. 

I'm building a handful of custom op-amp fuzzes for a number of local players, and test the waters for going into some small scale production, but something has always bedeviled me.  I'd love to be able to test the populated boards before wiring them into the enclosure.  It drives me nuts to put the thing together only to have to tear it apart if it doesn't behave as I think it should. 

Is there a tried and true process someone could recommend for testing a board after putting it all together, but before connecting it to the offboard wiring?

Thanks a million. 

boogietube

Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

boogietube

Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

JKowalski

If you really want convenience you should add it to your build requirements...

What I mean is that you should design your circuits keeping in mind that ease of assembly and test is important to you. Use many PCB mount parts to eliminate as much off board wiring as possible, perhaps include headers that allow snap-in/out assembly rather than soldering...

caress

Quote from: JKowalski on September 01, 2010, 12:31:39 AM
include headers that allow snap-in/out assembly rather than soldering...

yep, then either just snap the PCB into a test rig or jumper onto your header test points.  obviously this all takes some extra time, but if you're not using printed boards then it's a necessity for catching errors or debugging.

AutoPRND21

Thanks a million!  The Beavis board looks perfect.  I don't need something for prototyping so much as I just need to test boards before wiring them into the enclosures. 

- Philippe