Replacement for Bat46 Schottky Diode Question

Started by meltunes, September 01, 2010, 06:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meltunes

Hi Guys –

I'm looking for a replacement diode that has a higher current specification than a Bat46 for use in a reverb pedal kit I'm building (GGG Reverb).

I'm a novice builder and new to electronics... I've read thru previous postings on this forum and elsewhere about suitable replacement diodes for the Bat46, I think I've found two so far...

One is 1N5818 and the other is 1N4001. Both appear to have 1.0A and more than 18v DC blocking voltage ratings, the 1N5818 is a Schottky diode and the other isn't (I think). By comparison the Bat46 has a 150mA rating.

I am want to keep the pedal as close to the original design and sound as possible. The pedal design calls for the Bat46.

Would either of these two diodes be suitable replacement diodes for this reverb pedal?

Can anyone provide a recommendation of one over the other, or suggest other diodes for this application?

Thank you in advance for any guidance and assistance you can provide.

Mel

blueduck577

The diode isn't too critical because it isn't in the signal path.  If you are trying to match the specs as closely as possible, the better substitution would be the 1N5818.  An even better choice would be the 1N5817 because its voltage drop is closer to that of the BAT46.  I don't know why the designer chose a schottky diode though, because the 1N4001 seems like it would work just fine also.

meltunes

Thank you for the info.... my local Radio Shack carries the 1N4001 so I'm gonna go with that.

I really appreciate the help, as you know the learning curve is pretty steep to all of this so its nice to be able to tap into "tribal knowledge"...

Mel

Plexi

I'm building the Lovepedal Karl fuzz.

It use 1n4148 and BAT46 for clipping.

Are 1n60 or 1n5819 good substitute for BAT46?
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

bluebunny

Oooh!  Cross-posting!   :o

So I'm cross-replying...    ;)   [link]
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

bool

duck_arse

Quote from: bluebunny on April 26, 2017, 02:54:22 AM
Oooh!  Cross-posting!   :o

So I'm cross-replying...    ;)   [link]

this. makes me angry.

[you might see what I did there.]
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Plexi

I asked for BAT46 in the radioshack, and the guy offer me a huge ones: SR320

I'm close?
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

bluebunny

I guess you could check the datasheet to see how close it matches.  But it's a Schottky, so try it out.  I used an SB130 in a build once, without realising exactly how chunky it is! :o
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

highwater

"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR