Question about 12AX7 tube driven OD/Distortion/Amp

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 05, 2010, 05:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

I am looking into possibly building up a 12AX7 based effect. I have seen the Shaka but I am really interested in building something else. Maybe a pre-amp or another OD/Distortion.

This is a solicitation for suggestions, comments, and links to projects.

Thanks  8)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

anchovie

Do you feel comfortable/confident about working with voltages that could kill you?
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: anchovie on September 05, 2010, 06:14:38 PM
Do you feel comfortable/confident about working with voltages that could kill you?

I don't know.... Can this thing put out 200A at 400Hz? If not then I think I will be OK.

Any ideas?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

Govmnt_Lacky

The inconvenient BUMP  ::)

Any ideas for a tube-based OD/Distortion using 12AX7 tubes? I have 3 on hand to play with.

merlinb

If you're willing to build a small, high-voltage supply (a la Real McTube), then you could feasibly copy just about any existing valve preamp schematic you care to mention.

davidallancole

Govmnt_Lacky, I get a feeling from your reply you are in the electrical industry?  Just remember that there is voltages here in tube circuitry that can kill you.  It doesn't take much.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: merlinb on September 14, 2010, 12:39:49 PM
If you're willing to build a small, high-voltage supply (a la Real McTube), then you could feasibly copy just about any existing valve preamp schematic you care to mention.

Thanks. Do you have any links to PCB layouts. I know of the Shaka but not many others. I dont do vero or perf but if you know and PCB layouts then that would be great!

Quote from: davidallancole on September 14, 2010, 01:33:34 PM
Govmnt_Lacky, I get a feeling from your reply you are in the electrical industry?  Just remember that there is voltages here in tube circuitry that can kill you.  It doesn't take much.

I am well aware of this. I will take the necessary precautions.

Govmnt_Lacky

Ok... Now that I have been WELL informed about the dangers of working with HIGH VOLTAGE tube-based projects, bring on the suggestions and layout links!  :icon_biggrin:

defaced

Merlin already gave you the best answer.  The question is more not what's available, but what are you after?  Once there's a target on the wall we can start throwing darts at it.  What kind of music do you play?  What kind of amp is this going into?  All of this stuff will help you get meaningful suggestions.  But less that, I think you should use all three tubes and build a Soldano SLO style high gain circuit.  Why?  Because it's what I just finished building. 
-Mike

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: defaced on September 15, 2010, 02:51:39 PM
But less that, I think you should use all three tubes and build a Soldano SLO style high gain circuit.  Why?  Because it's what I just finished building. 

What is this High Gain device that you speak of? [typed with eyebrow raised]
You have peaked my interest since I am definitely interested in some high gain crunch!
Could you provide details or a layout? PCB perhaps??

defaced

Doing homework on this one is easy.  I'll leave all that fun stuff to you.  All of the information is out there if you use Google, including my turret layout for the OD channel only.  All you want to do is Clone the SLO
-Mike

tubelectron

Hi Govmnt_Lacky,

Let's suppose you are OK with 250V plate voltage and want to stay with a simple design, with only one 12AX7.

For a Hi-gain overdrive pedal, the Westbury W-20 works well (I have one, mint-condition, made in 1980) :

For a subtle-to-vintage-to-medium-gain overdrive, my tubelectron overdrive II is worth to try :

In both case, I would now recommend a DC heating of the 12AX7, for a better hum quietness.

A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

zambo

I got to tell ya, I have been having a LOT of fun inventing or butchering and hacking designs on my own. If you just look at most pre amp schematics they are all very similar. Just take three tube sockets and cascade them together running 100 b+ volts with 1 meg pots between stages and a 1.5 cathode resistor to start. See where that goes and have fun tweeking it over about 3 weeks. Who knows, maybe your design is the next one we will all want to clone.. :icon_wink:
I wonder what happens if I .......