Clear Coating?

Started by YouAre, September 06, 2010, 01:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouAre

Ok, so I've figured out Primers....(I think)

But now I've printed some graphics on some glossy photopaper, and I want to seal it onto the enclosure with some clear coat. I've tried Krylon clearcoat, but it yellowed the paper.

Do you guys know of a common spray-can on clear coat or maybe even brush on, so long as it's readily available in Home Depot or Pep Boys that WON'T yellow?

Yes, I did search, but most of the methods involved an air compressor or weren't clear on what to use (haha, no pun intended)

Thanks!

azrael

Never tried glossy paper, I usually use waterslide decals for graphics.

YouAre

Unfortunately, I don't have a laser printer, and the level of detail on this graphic would look best as a glossy photo I think.

darron

my favourite is the polyurethane used for spraying car wheels....

whatever company of paint you used as the base colour probably makes a clear, and using their matching paint is probably a good idea.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

YouAre

Quote from: darron on September 06, 2010, 08:49:08 AM
my favourite is the polyurethane used for spraying car wheels....

whatever company of paint you used as the base colour probably makes a clear, and using their matching paint is probably a good idea.

I bought Krylon glossy back paint, and duplicolor self etching primer. The issue lies with the clearcoat yellowing the photopaper. Trying to find one that doesn't yellow.

azrael

Try a Minwax polycrylic brush-on finish of some sort?

I bought some but haven't had a chance to use it.

YouAre

Quote from: azrael on September 06, 2010, 12:24:18 PM
Try a Minwax polycrylic brush-on finish of some sort?

I bought some but haven't had a chance to use it.

Would you mind letting me know of the results if you were to try it on paper or a label?

azrael

Sure, I'll apply some tonight. Mine is polyurethane, actually just remembered. But still, just something different.

Just normal paper?

dthurstan

I use plasti kote products as they're the most widely available here in the UK. I finish my pedals in a similar way.

1 coat primer
2 coats colour
1 coats clear
spray top lay transparent down wipe/dab with cloth to stick it down
2 coats clear

I use CLEAR ACRYLIC (1138)

I have had so trouble with ink smudging (laser printer) but I think thats from moving the sheet. The pedals I've made so far aren't great, but I think it's just getting the practice in.

Leftwing73

I've had great results with Duplicolor, specifically the Truck and SUV clear. This stuff, to the best of my knowledge, is acrylic lacquer, so it will dissolve your decals and paper pretty easily. If you just do a very light dustcoat at first, let it dry about 30 minutes then hit it with heavier coats it stands a much better chance of surviving.  Let it sit a day and harden before you try any wet-sanding/buffing, if that's in your plans.

YouAre

Quote from: azrael on September 06, 2010, 10:27:19 PM
Sure, I'll apply some tonight. Mine is polyurethane, actually just remembered. But still, just something different.

Just normal paper?

Hey,

It's photopaper. Did you get a chance to try it?

Sorry guys! I didn't get the notifications!

Leftwing, I don't think I'd want it to eat my decals/paper, because it's pretty much the reason I want to clearcoat, y'know?

And Darron, What brand polyuerethane do you use?

azrael

Ah, I don't have any photo paper on hand. :(

YouAre

Quote from: azrael on September 13, 2010, 03:07:57 PM
Ah, I don't have any photo paper on hand. :(

I'm sure photopaper won't yellow under different circumstances than regular paper, so maybe the results will be similar if you tried it with regular paper?