Wah Pedal acting as volume pedal

Started by MmmPedals, September 06, 2010, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MmmPedals

I have a regular old crybaby. changed the "Q" resistor to taste. was working fine. Then i pulled out the old DC connector hooked up a new one and... No more wah. Waah  :icon_cry:
took voltages.
E .05
B .61
C 4.77

E 3.44
B 2.9
C 3.44

What do I do now?

R.G.

Quote from: MmmPedals on September 06, 2010, 10:58:23 PM
E 3.44
B 2.9
C 3.44
What do I do now?
Find out why the emitter voltage is way up there, the same as the collector. Given that the base is about right, I bet the emitter to ground path is open, not through a resistor like it's supposed to be, as a first guess.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

MmmPedals

OOPS  :icon_mad: The Collector on the second tranny should be 7.44 so its
E 3.44
B 2.9
C 7.44
Does the emitter still seem high?

R.G.

Quote from: MmmPedals on September 07, 2010, 09:08:27 AM
OOPS  :icon_mad: The Collector on the second tranny should be 7.44 so its
E 3.44
B 2.9
C 7.44
Does the emitter still seem high?
If these are NPNs and in an expectedly-negative-ground circuit, yes, it does. NPN transistors do not work as amplifiers if their emitters are at a higher voltage than their bases. The emitter **must** be about one diode-drop lower than the base or the base-emitter junction is not forward biased, and that's a required condition of operation for an NPN to be an amplifier.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

MmmPedals

The 10k resistor to ground is fine. However when i measure its resistance with the battery attached it seems to be open.
I replaced the trans. and still get the same result.

anchovie

So it worked until you changed the DC connector and now it doesn't work and has a strange measurement with a battery connected - I'd check the pin-out and soldering of that new DC connector!
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

MmmPedals

I since removed the jack and i am running just on battery.

Could it be that the inductor is not working? how would i test it?

Paul Marossy

Quote from: MmmPedals on September 13, 2010, 08:18:29 AM
I since removed the jack and i am running just on battery.

Could it be that the inductor is not working? how would i test it?

If the inductor was not working and everything else was, you would get a very subtle variation in volume, and no "wah" at all. But I don't think it's the inductor. Your transistor voltages are strange. Are you sure that you have the pinouts right?

MmmPedals

The pinouts are correct. I didnt make it, its a commercial pedal.
I will give it a good look over and then post pics.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: MmmPedals on September 13, 2010, 09:22:08 PM
The pinouts are correct. I didnt make it, its a commercial pedal.

Uh, yeah. I shoulda saw that in your original post. Hmm... kind of a strange one you have here. What PCB version does it have in it?

MmmPedals

I am pulling my hair out on this one. I've been staring at this board for way too long
There is a 10k resistor from emitter to ground (which is connected correctly). With the battery in it reads as open (no connection). Without the battery its 10k like it should be. Is that normal?

R.G.

Quote from: MmmPedals on November 14, 2010, 02:47:58 PM
I am pulling my hair out on this one. I've been staring at this board for way too long
There is a 10k resistor from emitter to ground (which is connected correctly). With the battery in it reads as open (no connection). Without the battery its 10k like it should be. Is that normal?
You cannot in general test resistance correctly in a powered circuit with a simple meter. A simple DMM puts a either a fixed current or fixed voltage into a resistance, then measures the resulting voltage or current. If there is voltage or current coming from the circuit itself, then the meter is terminally (... sorry!) confused.

It is possible for this to be Mother Nature whispering in your ear that something happens to the ground connections when you put in a battery and not the DC power plug. Check for GROUND continuity with the battery/not battery situation changing. All grounds should show zero ohms even when the circuit is powered. If not, there is a grounding problem.
R.G.

zombiwoof

Try checking the 4.7uf electro cap in there, as I recall you can remove that to make it a volume pedal.  Maybe it's fried.

Al