The "Forum Amp" design thread

Started by Taylor, September 10, 2010, 07:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

I'd take some home grown chickens or vegetables (seriously) if we were in the same state.  8)

Kits will be up on the site tonight or tomorrow...

I definitely want to see some cool hybrid amps made with this PCB. At first I was thinking of doing a Valvecaster with it, since the V-caster's already for 12v. I might still do that. But I also want to try doing something with the SMPS from FrequencyCentral's submini amps and do a real high voltage preamp.

Taylor

The build PDF is up now:

http://musicpcb.com/pcbs/tiny-giant-amp/

Please check it out and let me know what you think. Questions left unanswered, any spelling or grammar issues you see, things that need some clarification, etc.

andersom

Hi taylor,

Any news on the price for the kit?
Depanding on price, I would be in for a couple boards.

Andreas

Taylor

armstrom

FYI, the price on the web site is the same for the PCB or the kit ($9). I'm assuming this was not your intention :)
-Matt

jacobyjd

Quote from: armstrom on January 17, 2011, 03:49:22 PM
FYI, the price on the web site is the same for the PCB or the kit ($9). I'm assuming this was not your intention :)
-Matt

Looks like it's $9 for the PCB + $9 for the kit.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Taylor

Right, the parts kit is a parts kit - it does not contain the PCB. It contains only the stuff listed under "the kit contains" and shown in the photo.

I don't know, is that confusing? Do you guys think I should do it another way?

oldschoolanalog

Just use the shopping cart folks... :icon_rolleyes:
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

phector2004

Quote from: Taylor on January 17, 2011, 03:59:22 PM
Right, the parts kit is a parts kit - it does not contain the PCB. It contains only the stuff listed under "the kit contains" and shown in the photo.

Maybe put "PCB + Kit" for 18$

Then again, sneaky bastards trying to "take advantage" of your "mistake" will be surprised when there's no PCB in their kit  ;D

Johan

Quote from: Taylor on January 17, 2011, 03:59:22 PM

..now that you point it out, it's clear...but I did the same mistake as Josh when looking the first time. that makes us two, and I'm sure many more could easily make the same mistake.....perhaps calling the partskit something else, like "population-kit" or something, just to be extra clear...it looks good thou.. ;D
J
DON'T PANIC

Taylor

OK, I just went ahead and restructured it. Originally, the parts kit did not include the PCB and was $9. Now it includes the PCB and is $18.

So if you just want the board, click "purchase PCB only"

If you want the board and parts kit, click "purchase PCB and parts kit"

Hopefully that's more intuitive. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

askwho69

Hi! i would like to build this one and buy a PCB but howto mod this as bass amp?

A2
"To live is to die"

Taylor

You don't really need to mod it to use it as a bass amp. I use it for bass and it works well.

You'd probably want to add an EQ in front, but it will work as a bass power amp with no mods.

askwho69

"To live is to die"

Hupla

Quote from: Taylor on January 29, 2011, 11:33:26 PM
You don't really need to mod it to use it as a bass amp. I use it for bass and it works well.

You'd probably want to add an EQ in front, but it will work as a bass power amp with no mods.

Im interested in buying this Taylor but just wondering about the EQ version you are going to do? When will that be ready? I can't really find any info on it in this thread? I kinda want to make a project out of this for myself and design the preamp and EQ but Im interested in what you have to offer.
Completed builds: BSIAB2
Pedals to build: Dr.Boogey, TS-808

Taylor

I have not had time to work on that, so It's probably fairly far off at this point.

Hupla

Quote from: Taylor on May 10, 2011, 02:05:52 PM
I have not had time to work on that, so It's probably fairly far off at this point.

Ok no problem. Big project for me during the summer so :)

Thanks man
Completed builds: BSIAB2
Pedals to build: Dr.Boogey, TS-808

fatfoohy

I was looking to make a portable amp that ran off of a 12 volt scooter battery, what would you think about bypassing the power supply segment and just using the straight 12 volts to power this amp?
having leftover parts is just proof that you made it better!!!!

Taylor

I don't know anything about scooter batteries, but I would assume they can deliver enough current to do the job. I bet PRR knows the answer to that. Maybe he'll see this.

Waltk built a portable amp similar to this using one of those rechargeable drill batteries.

waltk

QuoteI was looking to make a portable amp that ran off of a 12 volt scooter battery, what would you think about bypassing the power supply segment and just using the straight 12 volts to power this amp?

A 12-volt SLA scooter battery would power it just fine.  If you do this, bypass the LM338T.  You can probably come up with a wiring scheme that allows powering from either the battery or a laptop adapter. 

I've used higher voltage batteries, and in that case, you still need to pass it through the VR because the TDA7240 is sensitive to voltages over spec. (I've done this, and the result is not good).