Tonegod's Wicked Switch Layout

Started by Fael, September 11, 2010, 02:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

askwho69

they said its good! but BUMP!! hahaha we need someinfo here :) i want to make one too.. Cheap and good
"To live is to die"

Fael

Quote from: MGW on September 21, 2010, 06:43:49 PM
Hey guys, new here and I've been hovering for a bit.  I rather enjoy tinkering with this stuff, but this switching thing is quite new to me.  I'm curious if either of you (Earthscum or Fael)  has tried the bypass in an actual pedal and what was the result.   I was looking at the switch layout for the perfboard above, and I'm curious as to why the cathode it on the V+ and not the anode.  Sorry if this is a completely stupid question.  Also, Fael, I found the same documentation, and I am curious how the value of the resistor connecting pins 1 and 5 on the 4093 was determined and why you elected to use 10k on the other instead of the 100K that the layout spec'd.  

I'm going to try my hand at the non momentary version as I the only switch I have is a toggle.  

Here's a perf layout...I piddled around with Fael's.  Thanks for the head start.

Phew... I hadn't checked this thread 'cause I thought no one else had replied!
I think that MGW's perfboard layout is better than mine so anyone trying this switching method might as well try his layout. It's good to know that it works, too.

I haven't had time to try this out but I do want to point out that I think I might have mislabeled the resistors values. They might be 100k, not 10k. I don't know if I did that consciously or not but I would try the 100k resistors first. I will use this circuit for my pedals but that will be until I have time so... in a month or so.

askwho69

I did finish with tonegos's pcb layout... and i was impressed on it.. i think this switch is not true by pass... i will sacrifice some bass i think
"To live is to die"

Hides-His-Eyes

Quote from: deadastronaut on November 30, 2010, 07:42:49 AM
hmmmm....so is the age of the 3pdt dead then?...anyone done it with good results?

It only really works well for buffered pedals, and there are some pedals (eg fuzz face) which one would go out of one's way to avoid buffering. And for the quid that you save, there's a lot of extra effort here. So no. But, there's nothing wrong with electronic bypass, especially when you can work it into a pcb you're designing.

How much does a momentary footswitch cost? Maybe £1.50 if you buy ten? And you can get 3pdts for £2.50 when you buy ten.

Earthscum

Quote from: Hides-His-Eyes on December 04, 2010, 09:18:51 AM
It only really works well for buffered pedals

The CD4066 has it's own power supply and is biased internally. You don't need a buffer for this like you do with fet switching. You get some resistance (typical 470R with a 10V supply, according to the datasheet).

I've been wiring mine fet style, with an in, out, and a single bypass switch so that in bypass I only get resistance from 1 switch instead of 2 like in a DPDT style setup.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

askwho69

Quote from: Hides-His-Eyes on December 04, 2010, 09:18:51 AM
Quote from: deadastronaut on November 30, 2010, 07:42:49 AM
hmmmm....so is the age of the 3pdt dead then?...anyone done it with good results?

It only really works well for buffered pedals, and there are some pedals (eg fuzz face) which one would go out of one's way to avoid buffering. And for the quid that you save, there's a lot of extra effort here. So no. But, there's nothing wrong with electronic bypass, especially when you can work it into a pcb you're designing.

How much does a momentary footswitch cost? Maybe £1.50 if you buy ten? And you can get 3pdts for £2.50 when you buy ten.

this thing is work fine, very well and reliable... but for my ear its not really true bypass maybe because its not really analog. . . try it you and comment back if im correct or wrong :)
"To live is to die"