Tonepad CE-2 Corral Chorus,Muddy and no highs!

Started by kawayanstrat, September 13, 2010, 02:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kawayanstrat

I have built a tonepad CE-2 clone and it worked right away. The problem is the direct/dry signal. It has no highs,prefferably on the 1k-up frequencies,and wheni turn my guitar's tone control,there's a little or no difference in my tone. I have re-heated all my pads and triple-checked all the components. My build works on power supply and battery.I hope you guys can help me with this dilemma. Thanks!

oomnelson

Did you check the trimpot?... I built it, with a trimpot which it has "15 rounds", (it´s more sensitive than the "3 rounds"), and it took me some time to adjust it properly.
And it affects the dry/wet signal, from it´s tone to the sensitivity, for example, when I used a single coil pickup guitar, everything works fine, but with a humbucker, it distorted the signal, so, when I turn the trimpot to the other side too much, I clean up the sound, but lost the effect and the tone.

elshiftos

As oomnelson points out, check the trimpot setting to make sure Vb is reading approx 1/2 the supply voltage (4.5V). Try swapping out IC1 if you have a spare.
Next, disconnect R22 so you are just hearing the dry signal when the circuit is switched in. Does it sound duller than when the circuit is in bypass? If so, you have an error or an incorrect component value somewhere in the signal path: Input -> Q1 -> IC1a -> IC1b.

Bear in mind that the dry signal you hear at the output passes through the noise reducing, pre-emphasis/de-emphasis stages, and a mis-read capacitor value could change the tone of the dry signal.

Oh, almost forgot, check the supply de-coupling caps C18,29,30 as well  :)