Muff Fuzz Question

Started by WGTP, August 21, 2003, 05:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGTP

Can you use caps/resistors to ground from the feedback loop in the Muff Fuzz.  I have not seen a design with them and I know it is set up a little different.  Looks like the input would also be going thru it.  Silly question. :roll:

I guess a small cap between the op amps is all you can do to reduce bass/boost treble.  Maybe .001uf.
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

brian

I don't think you want to use a cap/resistor/combination to ground from the feedback loop of a Muff Fuzz. The Muff Fuzz uses the inverting amplifier configuration in it's gain stages. The components to ground from the feedback loop are only used in non-inverting configurations of op-amps as far as I know. I did some tweaking of the frequency response of the circuit as well as it's clipping characteristics. I don't have the details posted, but I'd be glad to dig it out for you if you wish.
{image removed to eliminate the distortion of the page, the schem is available at my website, for anyone who is interested}
Gus Smalley did some mods to the circuit as well that have some interesting notes on frequency shaping. If you can't find them in Aron's archives, I think they are at J.D. Sleep's page? generalguitargadgets.com I think.
Good luck!
Brian
ps- the values I used tend to give the circuit a Tube-Screamer type voicing, it cuts bass in the first stage around 120 Hz and the second stage somewhere around 600 Hz.
I know your kind, what's wrong with you is wrong all the way through you.

WGTP

Yes, I would like to see your info.  I had seen your scheme, as well as, Gus' and like the minimum part count and the assymetrical distortion with the LED.     What I thinking is I want assymetrical in the first stage with the a 6db/oct. slope, extreme bass roll off, into the second which is symmetrical and then 6db/oct. high roll off.  Sort of like Mark's Chaos and the Mosferatu.  I hoping to get more distortion and sustain on the highs, without an overall bright sound.  Plus I think I like asymmetry on the highs, for sweetness and fatness and symmetry on the lows, for less wooliness.  I'm hoping to to keep lots of highs and lows and not just mid's.  May not work.  :roll:

Thanks.
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

brian

I'll scan a little write-up I did on that circuit and post it. Give me till this evening or tomorrow if that's okay? Oh, evening relative to the central time zone in the states, I don't know how that relates to the GMT time that the forum is based on.  :oops:
Brian

brian

Okay, here are the notes I made when I was working this thing out.

The lower freq's are governed by the series Resistor/Capacitors and the upper freq's are governed by the parallel Resistor/Capacitor in the feedback loop.

The formula I used to work out the corner frequencies was:

f=1/(2*Pi*C*R)

where f is the frequency
         Pi is the constant, 3.14
         C is capacitance in farads and
         R is resistance in ohms

Let us know how your design works out, it sounds pretty cool so far!
Brian