MidiMind - my midi switcher

Started by davidefender, September 15, 2010, 07:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidefender

Hello folks!

I'm a new user from Italy. I've always follow your discussions, and I've learned a lot from your advices. In another italian forum I developed a project called MidiMind (as you can see from the title ;D). It's simply a Midi switcher based on the Arduino board (anyone know Arduino? :icon_surprised: arduino.cc) and I'm really pleased to present it to you!

It's totally free and OpenSource so you can improve it and share the project (but not commercial use  :P). I'm still writing the firmware and (big surprise) the java application that will control the device from a normal PC through an USB cable. The PCB is almost completely tested (just the Midi part is still untested because I need it unplugged for the uC programming.. but the circuit should work, I've tested it on a breadboard month ago!).

Well, there would be many things to say.. so many that I will not list them! I will wait your questions and comments (yes, I'm laaaaaazy  :icon_mrgreen:), I just list some main feature just to understand what this piece of steel does:

- USB connection for controlling the device through a personal computer
- Of course, MIDI in/thru for Program Change and Control Change messages
- 16 SPST for controlling 16 effects (specially created with a "bypass input")
- 10 variable voltage outputs, these will be used for controlling some particular effects with a "expresson input".. think for example at one volume pedal, or a modified CryBaby!  :icon_eek:
- Completely compatible with standard midi pedalboards (such as FCB1010)

well, I think it's all for now, hope you enjoy the project and comment it.
Bye bye guys!

(here is a pic of the MidiMind  ;D)

P.S. : obviously I feel really sorry for my English, hope to not make some BIG mistakes  :icon_redface:
P.P.S : ehhmmmmm how can I upload the projects file? Am I allowed to attach file to the post  ??? Thanks!

davidefender

Here it's a link for the project download (I used MegaUpload):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AN4GT7SJ

space_ryerson

Wow. Impressive. Unfortunately, I'm trying to download, and getting "The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable."

davidefender

mmmm... ok, the only solution I see for now is link the forum where I've uploaded the project!
http://new.diyitalia.eu/index.php/galleria/category/13-midi-switcher
(thanks for the warning) but.. is it possible to upload files directly on this forum or not? Thanks!

Taylor

Very impressive project! Thanks for contributing this to the forum.

space_ryerson

Quote from: davidefender on September 15, 2010, 12:47:32 PM
mmmm... ok, the only solution I see for now is link the forum where I've uploaded the project!
http://new.diyitalia.eu/index.php/galleria/category/13-midi-switcher
(thanks for the warning) but.. is it possible to upload files directly on this forum or not? Thanks!
That link works! I'm really impressed.  :)

MetalGuy

Thanks for sharing this project but I don't see any code for that Atmega328?

davidefender

thank you guys for your support!  :icon_biggrin: it's more than 1 year that I am working on this project... very very huge as you can see...

Quote from: MetalGuy on September 15, 2010, 04:37:57 PM
Thanks for sharing this project but I don't see any code for that Atmega328?

you're definitly right! that's because the firmware has some bugs that I have to find and correct, but as soon as I return home I will post the C code, I will update the final release when it will be ready!
I also would like prepare a document that describe the project (free time, where are you?  :icon_mrgreen:) so please, feel free to ask anything you want on this device... and of course, if you have ideas and comments... I'd love to listen!

bye!

davidefender

here's the code: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JGJA02I7

It's a eclipse project with the source code (I use the C/C++ eclipse plugin). As I said, there are still some bugs and no documentation yet (please, be forgiving;)) but I will do the work as soon as possible. I'm currently working on the java application (PC side), when I will be able to present the work, I'll post here for sure!

butcher55

This looks interesting... what is the current state of the project? Is it finished yet?

davidefender

Hi!

due to a gigantic number of exams that i'm preparing in contemporaneous  :icon_eek: , I had to pause the project's build.. however I will soon restart developing the software, and of course I will post the result right here, if someone is interested in the project, and want to collaborate he's welcome of course!  :icon_mrgreen:

jazbo8

Did Davide share the code with anyone? I like to breadboard it but have no clue how to write codes :icon_cry:

Jaz