why do we do this ?

Started by troubledtom, September 30, 2003, 09:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troubledtom

ok,
  first of all hello to AAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL.

i started making pedals/devices because i couldn't buy it.  there was no such monster to be had. { until the VG-88 that is }
        now people pay me to build and mod all kinds of stuff. i know it's all about the tone and vibe of certain boxes that move us to , ....perhaps a more creative ground or plane.
         making pedals is enough for beer money and and some cool nights on the town. we'll you know what i mean.........
        i plan on make'n pedals til i die , troubledvariance doesn't pay all my bills yet. i'm at a point that the growing pains of the bizz are killing me
so to speek . i'm from southern california and now live in the TN mountains and i can't find any help. hell i even taught at the local high school { for free } and i hoped to find someone i could train and mentor thru the the school and they'd get credit for building devices and learning electronics.
    so now you have seen me w/ my pants down, hey my wife likes it, but it looks ugly from here :shock:  
                           peace,
                               - tom

idlefaction

thanks for the insight!  :D  

moo
Darren
NZ

Ed Rembold

I think we do this-
because we don't realize how hard
it "really" is......
Ed R.

petemoore

Is just too easy, and the selection is too limited [at least in the local stores around here], and I need punishment.
 Actually it's because it's addicting...gets ya bad when your guitar starts sounding super great...and ya dump a load of you're commercial units [I kepting the reverb/echo and chorus...so far...] then ya know ya been had / or you're in denial...[IM...lol..humble O].
 Anything you make you could probably [not] buy, but it would also most probably be one long search [like this isn't..].
 Plus, I don't remeber ever seeing or havin an efkt [commercial] that posessed even an input cap socket tsk tsk tsk....
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

WGTP

Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Marcos - Munky

I think we do this because:
1- it's funny
2- it's addicting
3- it's cool
4- sometimes it's cheaper
4- you can get the sound that you want
5- there is a lot of effects that you'll never see to buy (very rare)
6- there is a lot of effects that you'll never buy, because they never had a commercial version
7- you could get experience and make your own circuit
8- you'll learn a lot

The Tone God

I think just about everything out there sucks and what doesn't suck costs too much. I like to make loud noises. I'm never happy with stock since I'm not a stock guy. I can't give birth so I have to make stuff. I'm so brillant that I'm an idiot. I'm a subconcious self-mascohist. I don't know when to stop, like with this post...

Andrew

Nasse

It helps you to be a better human being. And that is not very easy.
  • SUPPORTER

Peter Snowberg

Curiosity + artistic drive + masochism.

...also.... most commercial effect designers have far too little 'damage' to make the boxes I want.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

aron

Because we can  :D

If you work at it enough, you end up with something that is designed for YOU; in a way that no other commercial pedal can.

puretube

Quote from: Peter SnowbergCuriosity + artistic drive + masochism.

...also.... most commercial effect designers have far too little 'damage' to make the boxes I want.

....glad you said:  "most" ...

//www.puretube.com

moosapotamus

I think it's the all powerful mad scientist frankenstein monster genius thing. You know... ? You take a hand-full of tiny inanimate objects along with some diabolical plan (or, not  :wink: ), stick them all together with reckless abandon and, after enduring an abominable range of mood swings, from anticipation to frustration to elation to abject failure to blind faith to mind-numbing confusion and back to plain old simple hope . . .

. . . IT'S ALIVE!!!!

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Peter Snowberg

Puretube, your pedals are visually works of art! :D

I've never heard them, but from the controls I can identify with your design approach. You certainly seem to be 'damaged' enough.  LOL.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! on your EH deal! :D:D:D:D:D

Anybody who has not done so, check out

www.puretube.com
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

troubledtom

cool, i just thought i'd post something that was a little personal and perhaps insightful.
   this yr i made some $$ but the tax man gets more then you may think.
when i did this on a small scale it was much easier.
   my advice is is to keep it small and close to home. joe gagan 'THE KINGOFUZZ" , has some stories to tell.
     Z , [zvex] has been more than kind and candid over the yr's.  paul perry i'm also very impressed w/ .  they both kick ass.
      that reminds me , ' hey joe where yah go'n with that fuzz in your hand?'.
             peace,
                 - tom

Rodgre

puretube....lordy lordy lordy. I knew you did those E-H designs, but I had no idea about your own site. WOW! You and me.... we need to talk! As soon as I sell everything I own... :)

Roger

puretube

...keep your stuff, Rodgre!

on the other hand, you`ve seen only pics up to 1999...
(and I still don`t own a digi-cam)

:)

//www.puretube.com