Started by overdrive city, September 22, 2010, 03:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

overdrive city

edvard

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

overdrive city

I never really studied electronics. I just wire up electric guitars. I took radio in high school for one year. But I don't remember much of what I learned there.

So what kind of transistor is a 2N5089? I have a B.C. Rich preamp in my guitar and I just trying to understand it a little bit better.

RedHouse

Quote from: overdrive city on September 22, 2010, 09:19:26 PM
I never really studies electronics. I just wire up electric guitars. I took radio in high school for one year. But I don't remember much of what I learned there.

So what kind of transistor is a 2N5089? I have a B.C. Rich preamp in my guitar and I just trying to understand it a little bit better.

Well you probably won't remember what people here tell you here either, some people are just destined to be google'ites.

Taylor

Quote from: overdrive city on September 22, 2010, 09:19:26 PM
I never really studied electronics. I just wire up electric guitars. I took radio in high school for one year. But I don't remember much of what I learned there.

Quote from: edvard on September 22, 2010, 03:57:36 AM
Nope.
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/2N/2N5089.html

Whenever you have a question about a part's nature (like what kind of transistor it is), google the part and find the datasheet. It's a document that explains all of the important characteristics of that part.

overdrive city

I googled it first. It doesn't really say.

Taylor

Well, a datasheet for something that isn't a JFET is not going to say "this is not a JFET".

But the datasheet calls it an NPN amplifier. You already found that it's NPN. So then you wonder, what is an NPN transistor? If you google "npn transistor" the first hit (for me anyway) is Wikipedia's page on bipolar junction transistors, which answers your question.

overdrive city

OK thank you. I was thinking it was a FET or Field-effect transistor.

RedHouse

Quote from: overdrive city on September 22, 2010, 09:34:44 PM

Aww, that's a shame, they probably said in class.

stringsthings

Quote from: overdrive city on September 22, 2010, 03:40:37 AM

here's some more transistors from the Mouser catalog ... the 2N5089 is listed on the left hand side ...  a wise and economical choice .... i recommend buying in bulk and giving the ones that you don't want away as stylish christmas presents to your electrically inclined friends ... when ordering by phone, be sure to mention to the operator that you are using a "charge" card.   :icon_mrgreen:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/642/487.pdf

( christmas present hint #2:   inexpensive, but colourful capacitors also make excellent stocking stuffers!  :icon_mrgreen: )

David

Quote from: overdrive city on September 22, 2010, 09:34:44 PM

In all seriousness, the NPN is the giveaway.  BJT (bipolar junction transistors - the "old" type) are NPN or PNP with connections for emitter, base and collector (E, B, C).  A FET / JFET / etc type is constructed differently.
The datasheet really will tell you this, but you must wade through a lot of verbiage and details.  It will not jump out at you.

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

RedHouse

Well I guess it all depends on what "jumping out at you" means right?

They probably cover the whole BJT-vs-FET thing in that one year of radio in high school, but since you weren't listening try a quick look at the datasheets for the two kinds of devices, it kind'a jumps out ...if you look at them:

Also, that link DougH just posted is very good info ...if you read it.

caress

DougH

Quote from: RedHouse on September 22, 2010, 09:41:07 PM

Aww, that's a shame, they probably said in class.

This is the funniest damn thread I've read in a long time.  :icon_mrgreen:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."