Orange squeezer with blend knob

Started by spargo, September 24, 2010, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spargo

I am looking into building an Orange Squeezer and want to integrate a blend knob (wet/dry blend).  I've heard different things... some people say it's as simple as wiring a dual-gang (I think?) pot, and others say you absolutely need a buffer or it will kill the tone. Any thoughts?

Is this a good way to go for a blend buffer? http://seanm.ca/stomp/bblender.html

Of course, the simpler the better but I want no sacrifice on tone.

spargo

I'm also reading of the benefits of input/output buffers. Would I be correct in saying that the B. Blender would essentially provide an input and an output buffer? I would simply take the B. Blender and plug the Orange Squeezer in the middle? Blender send > OSQ Input > OSQ Output > Blender return ?

Projectile

Quote from: spargo on September 24, 2010, 07:54:20 PM
I'm also reading of the benefits of input/output buffers. Would I be correct in saying that the B. Blender would essentially provide an input and an output buffer? I would simply take the B. Blender and plug the Orange Squeezer in the middle? Blender send > OSQ Input > OSQ Output > Blender return ?

Yes, exactly like that.

I've used this circuit with several pedals. It works great. A lot of times you can drop some of the buffers if the pedal you are blending already has input/output buffers, but the orange squeezer would probably benefit from having them. I'm not familiar with the orange squeezer, but with some pedals that have a lot of gain you'll need to turn the first buffer into a gain stage in order to match the volume. This only requires two resistors. Also, when using this pedal with circuits that contain a volume pot, it makes a lot more sense to put the volume pot after the blend pot. Sometimes this means  increasing the value of the volume pot so that it doesn't interact with the blend pot noticeably.

spargo

Thanks for the help! One thing I was thinking of doing is adding a buffer (such as an AMZ buffer) into the pedal to always be on, since the compressor will be at the front of the board. I'd simply go pedal input > buffer > then to the 3PDT switch.

But of course I probably wouldn't want an AMZ buffer AND the buffers in the B.Blender.  Is there a way to make the B.Blender serve this purpose or vice versa?

Processaurus

Have you gotten a chance to play through an orange squeezer?  In the range of guitar effects, it doesn't rate as a very obvious one, so blending out an already somewhat subconscious effect may not be as impressive as one of the more overbearing, crushing compressors.   

A dry blend on a compressor is one way to fake different ratios of compression from a limiter (like the ross/dynacomp), so with a blend you'd get a ratio range of 1:1 to infinity:1, a handy knob, but the OS doesn't seem to have as high of a ratio to begin with, so it would be less range on that control, like 1:1 to 3:1. 

spargo

Interesting. I currently have a Barber Tone Press and my building a compressor would ultimately replace that. Where I got the blend idea from is twofold - my Tone Press has one, and JHS makes a compressor based on the Orange Squeezer with a blend knob (but who knows what else they did to it).

petemoore

Yupp...depending...the OS is hard to tell if it's even on or if it's just a booster.
  A blend knob would be better suited to something where 'A' and 'B' are a little farther apart, just an opinion I felt is worth checking out before expenditures.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

spargo

Hmm...maybe I will look into building a double compressor, Ross and Orange Squeezer with an always on buffer. :)