News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Tone stacks

Started by CasterPaul, September 30, 2010, 04:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CasterPaul

I'm in the process of building a ts clone and keep running into a problem at the tone stack. When I turn the pot up there's a pretty constant change in volume and not necessarily the tone, and between about 8 and 10 there's a huge jump in volume.... are their any places that explain the basics of tone controls, or do any of you have wisdom you could share on this subject?

Mark Hammer

The tone control ("stack" generally refers to a multiple control arrangement, like treble/mid/bass) actually works by changing gain. take a read through this very helpful article - http://www.muzique.com/lab/tstone.htm - and you'll understand more.

As for where the most noticeable effect occurs in the rotation of the control, that's a matter of both pot value, and taper.  Dig around on this forum and you'll find plenty of discussion (some of it recent) on that very matter.

CasterPaul

Sorry, I should have mentioned the pot in question is a 25k linear

jkokura

Quote from: CasterPaul on September 30, 2010, 04:23:45 PM
I'm in the process of building a ts clone and keep running into a problem at the tone stack. When I turn the pot up there's a pretty constant change in volume and not necessarily the tone, and between about 8 and 10 there's a huge jump in volume.... are their any places that explain the basics of tone controls, or do any of you have wisdom you could share on this subject?

So your tone pot is affecting your volume? My ts clones don't have that issue, so I imagine it's an issue either with your build in particular or the layout your using.

Can you tell us where you're getting your project from, what kind of board your using, and then perhaps take a look at the debugging thread to see if that can help you at all?

Jacob

CasterPaul

The schematic is here: www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=1136 , I've built through it a couple of times and I'm using a breadboard. I'm going along this time step through step and auidio probing it the whole way through, it's fine except when I get to the tone pot. The middle lug goes to the .22uf and 220ohm to ground, then 1 and 2 to their places

amptramp

There is a tonestack calculator at the bottom of this page:

http://www.duncanamps.com/software.html