(6) AA batteries vs (1) 9V battery

Started by Philippe, October 05, 2010, 04:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

Just curious...size & space contraints aside, are 6 AA 1.5 V batteries (or even six C or D cells) the equivalent of 1 regular 9V battery in terms of voltage, amperage & overall battery life? Except for inherent dimensions, does a larger (or smaller) battery size introduce any other outside factors?

CynicalMan

A 9V battery is made up of 6 1.5V AAAA cells. Looking at alkaline energizer cells, their AAAA cells have capacities of 625mAh, whereas their AA cells have capacities of 2850mAh. So, you'd end up with a battery with the same voltage as an alkaline 9V, but larger, heavier, and with 2850mAh instead of 625mAh.

Edit: I found the capacities here: flashlightsunlimited.com/products.htm#Batteries

Energizer alkaline Cs have capacities of 8350mAh, their Ds have capacities of 18000mAh, and their 9Vs have capacities of 625mAh.

Philippe

Thanks CM. So basically, a larger battery = same voltage but longer life (depending on drain).

CynicalMan

In general, for the same type and voltage cell or battery, yes.

R.G.

As nearly as I can remember, this is exactly what Mark Hammer suggested on the usenet discussion groups before there was a world wide web to surf.

Six AA, C or D cells makes a big battery with more ampere-hours. So for a certain load (amperes) that's more hours.

I have a little bet with myself about how long it's going to take someone to invent the next step and post it here. Just to prolong the suspense, I'm not going to say it.  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Ice-9

Quote from: R.G. on October 05, 2010, 06:26:10 PM

I have a little bet with myself about how long it's going to take someone to invent the next step and post it here. Just to prolong the suspense, I'm not going to say it.  :icon_biggrin:

Would that be to put 12 cells 2 sets of six in parrallel to double the Ah again, and maybe put them in an enclosure of there own to power multiple effects.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Labaris

Quote from: CynicalMan on October 05, 2010, 06:43:19 PM
us.sanyo.com/Pedal-Juice?

That's great!

And the idea of replacing 9V batteries with AA is very interesting, more if you think that multiple-batteries chargers for AA are very common (At least here in Chile multiple 9V chargers are very hard to find and expensive)

But I'm still wondering if power supplies have any noise-related advantage compared to batteries or similars...
A long way is the sum of small steps.

frank_p

joegagan

RG, just guessing, my idea would be to put the bajillions of cellphone batteries /chargers to use, because of the ecomonies of scale. they might be close to free if you work it right.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

CynicalMan

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Labaris on October 05, 2010, 07:52:44 PM
And the idea of replacing 9V batteries with AA is very interesting, more if you think that multiple-batteries chargers for AA are very common (At least here in Chile multiple 9V chargers are very hard to find and expensive)

But I'm still wondering if power supplies have any noise-related advantage compared to batteries or similars...
I think that is a relevant consideration.  The availability of some kinds of batteries often depends on where you are in the world.  Because of how often they are the power source for many handheld devices like Wii controllers, television/DVD remotes, Game Boys, and many other things, you can always find AA or AAA for a cheap price.  I don't like sending them to the garbage pile, but they can last a long time powering effects or portable amplifiers.

Batteries will almost always provide quieter performance than power supplies, because they begin as pure DC.  Power supplies begin as AC and then try to create DC.  Sometimes they produce perfectly smooth DC, but many times not.

R.G.

Quote from: CynicalMan on October 05, 2010, 06:43:19 PM
us.sanyo.com/Pedal-Juice?
Not bad. 17 minutes.

Actually, Sanyo implemented it in a way that I think will severely limit its market impact. I had plans for a similar item that we decided not to pursue immediately and was amused at the particulars of the device that Sanyo actually brought to market.

But I really figured that with such a broad hint that someone would re-invent it on their own.  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

MoltenVoltage

Been there, designed that.  Actually spent about 3-4 months testing and perfecting it, but with all the digital pedals out there, to have some of your pedals powered by battery while the rest, like the Whammy, need much higher amperage and/or AC power, it just doesn't seem like there is a big market for it anymore.

Would have been a great idea about 15 years ago.
MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

joegagan

karl, that is cool. good on ya for giving it a go.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

CynicalMan

True, but for someone who is more into distortions/ODs/wahs rather than Whammys or HOGs, this could be useful. Cost is also an issue with these. I wouldn't pay $150 to be able to use an AC outlet later than sooner when I can buy a 1spot for $20.

It would be nice to have a battery pack with more capacity. If I knew more about charging Li-ions I might buy 10 or 20 of those cell phone batteries and make a battery pack at something like 5000mAh.

666 posts  :icon_twisted:

R.G.

We didn't think that we'd make back the money invested in plastic molding dies for the packaging to slickly hold cells, charger, yada, yada, yada.

This is one of those things which is almost entirely packaging cost, no design other than the most trivial needed. There is some smarts needed to make it integrate well with how pedalboards are used, and IMHO, Sanyo missed several big ones, but that's just kibitzing on my part. I wish them well with it.

CM, you're flirting with some of the issues.  :icon_lol:
R.G.

mac

I you had enough space inside your box 6 x 1.5v aa/aaa batteries will last a long long time, maybe years if you power a FF, Big Muff, dist+ or similar, depending on how often you use them. 

I power my pedals this way if I can get a large box. The batteries in my Rangemaster and Fuzz Faces are 3 years old or so.

The ONLY problem you must be aware of is that sometimes after a long period of time batteries could begin to leak, so you must check your pedals from time to time.

--------------------
The new two-dimensional carbon layer, graphene, developed by two russian scientists who were awarded the Nobel Prize recently, look promising. Can be used as photo-cell. :)

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Flotrain

Hello, newbie reviving this old thread.  I need to power a medium sized (8 pedals) pedal board for a European tour.  I'm thinking it would be nice to use a Sanyo Pedal Juice to not have to rely on finding a clean power 110 volt outlet on stage to plug in a One Spot.  I'm also running a 9 volt DC powered programmable switcher.  The Pedal Juice supposedly maintains a full 9 volts so the sound is consistent and predictable.                                                                                           Regarding using 6 AA batteries:  6 Sanyo Eneloop 1900mAh AA NiMH rechargeable batteries http://us.sanyo.com/Battery-Products/AA-8-Pack-SEC-HR3U8BPN would work and be much cheaper than a Pedal Juice, yes?  These are supposed to maintain voltage better than alkaline.  Any trick to building a 9 volt supply with 6 of these?  Comments appreciated :icon_razz:  Thanks!    p.s. I'm using some mini pedals that require a power supply... no battery compartment.

Seljer

Quote from: Flotrain on July 06, 2013, 05:28:51 AM
Hello, newbie reviving this old thread.  I need to power a medium sized (8 pedals) pedal board for a European tour.  I'm thinking it would be nice to use a Sanyo Pedal Juice to not have to rely on finding a clean power 110 volt outlet on stage to plug in a One Spot.  I'm also running a 9 volt DC powered programmable switcher.  The Pedal Juice supposedly maintains a full 9 volts so the sound is consistent and predictable.                                                                                           Regarding using 6 AA batteries:  6 Sanyo Eneloop 1900mAh AA NiMH rechargeable batteries http://us.sanyo.com/Battery-Products/AA-8-Pack-SEC-HR3U8BPN would work and be much cheaper than a Pedal Juice, yes?  These are supposed to maintain voltage better than alkaline.  Any trick to building a 9 volt supply with 6 of these?  Comments appreciated :icon_razz:  Thanks!    p.s. I'm using some mini pedals that require a power supply... no battery compartment.

I believe the OneSpots are smart enough to automatically switch between 110V and 230V :)