Thor Build Report

Started by auden100, October 13, 2010, 11:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auden100

So I finished my second pedal a few weeks ago. The Thor from run off groove.

http://www.runoffgroove.com/thor.html

Made a few mods:
- Removed the switch from the bass tone control, and replaced the 100k resistor with a 100kB pot.
- Used a center-off switch for the treble control, and added a 500k resistor on one toggle for a medium amount of treble.
- Added a pair of clipping diodes just before the volume. I thought low-end sounded pretty mumbly stock, and found that added the diodes cleaned up the articulation as well as added just a touch more crunch. I think I used Ge 1n34A's.

The pedal sounds great. As many have said, it's not a super high gain pedal. But it sounds pretty damn good at any gain level, and also if pushed with a little overdrive at the input.

I'm really curious what could be achieved with a full tone stack. It's been said, and it seems true this pedal has a lot of low-end. Not a bad thing, but having the option would be nice. I originally tried a 100k pot to control the treble, instead of the stock switch, but found that value was much too low. I ended up using a 500k resistor for medium treble setting, so I'm guessing a 1M pot would work to give the full range. Another quirk of this pedal is that the way the treble control is implemented renders it ineffective as the gain increases. I see this as another good reason to try out a full tone stack later in the circuit.

I may yet make a dr. boogey to see what all the fuss is about, but until then I'm glad to have Thor in my arsenal.

Sorry for not having any gut-shots. The camera is borrowed, and I forgot to take them.

Illustrator by day. Pedal tinkerer by night.
www.artstation.com/auden

Maik

Wow, looks like a tube amp  ;D
What kind of LED is that? Cause that´s what I need...

auden100

Thanks, Maik.

It's a 5mm super bright orange LED. Nothing special. Bought from pedal part plus. I just used my dremel to sand the whole surface in order to make the light emit at all angles.
www.artstation.com/auden

bt2513

How did you cut the slots in the enclosure?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: bt2513 on October 14, 2010, 10:25:17 AM
How did you cut the slots in the enclosure?

My guess is with the very same dremel  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Maik

You can do it with a small drill and a jigsaw, like this
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9937/gehusegesgtgebohrtklein.jpg
you have to use sawblades for metal and sand it after sawing, cause the cuts will be ca 1mm thin.

auden100

Yep, the same dremel. Just used the cutting discs and then a flat needle file to even them out and adjust the length. Have to be careful, though, because the dremel had a tendency to spin out and make unwanted marks on the surface. So I had to make sure I kept firm control.
www.artstation.com/auden

Barcode80

Just a suggestion for those who want to use the dremel for slots like this, there is a handy drill press accessory for dremel, which can bring the cutting wheel down in a prefect 90 degree angle. Helps with the spinning out issue.