Bazz Fuss output is low

Started by plexiphile, October 15, 2010, 12:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plexiphile

I've been fooling around with Bazz Fuss schematics for a while now. I love the tone, especially from something that is so basic. I test my finished pedals on my little vintage Fender Champ and the sound great.  Noise free, no popping, that great tone.  Then I usually give them away to friends...I love building these things.
   Anyway, here's my issue: When playing these through, say, my 50w Marshall at full band volume, the amps output with the Bazz Fuss is actually lower than the clean signal.  Something I might not notice at low practice amp levels...I always thought I was getting a huge boost.     
   My initial thoughts: I'm using a 10K resistor to protect the LED; it's coming off the 9v+.  Wrong value? Bad placement?  I'm using the General Guitar Gadgets true-bypass 3pdt w/LED wiring diagram...I'm sure I'm following it correctly.  Or could the 100K pot be changed for higher output?
   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jeff

stringsthings

MikeH

The value of your LED current limiting resistor would have no effect on the output amplitude of the effect.  It could be due to a few things- misbiasing of the transistor could be it.  It could also be that it actually is louder, but when you play along with a group, the frequencies from the fuzz get washed out and it becomes difficult to hear your guitar.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Hides-His-Eyes

You could stick a booster on the output, but I suspect your issue is more frequency related, and by the time you've added an active tone stack to a bass fuzz, you're pretty much bursting too far out of the constraints of the circuit. IE, you need a different circuit...

tasos

it is a good idea to check polarity of the battery...i had the same prob!or the battery might have gone bad....also try replacing it! :icon_biggrin:

porkammf

Maybe the diode is feedbacking too much signal, try to put a 10k pot in series with the diode, vary it and see how it affect the output.

Earthscum

Aha! Maybe check your diode... I just got the idea to try something, and grabbed a diode that I knew was fried. Distortion, but low output. I tried a Ge diode that I know is bad, as well... low output, and hardly any distortion.

Which BF are you building, and what transistor are you using?
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum