Sound lab pedal power 450

Started by craigmillard, October 16, 2010, 08:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigmillard

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this power supply:
http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/products.asp?id=1930

I have one and am getting all sorts of hiss when connecting high gain diy pedals.

I have just built a big muff pi from frequency central layout here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=75787.0

and it is making loads of noise, tried with flashing leds in it and the popping was really loud!

I also have a super-fuzz from ustomps and a fuzz factory all of which create this hiss on the power supply. If running off battery thou all is fine!:(

I also have a barber trifector that runs dead silent on it and a dr boogie that is quite quiet, cant seem to figure out why my diy peds are creating so much hiss?

Any ideas or should i go build a ultra clean power supply??

Frequency, do you get much hiss from the big muff you built?
If it is the pedal power then why is it only effecting some pedals?

Very frustrating!!
Any thoughts much appreciated!:)

nick d

I have used this supply for about 2 years  with a variety of pedals , not had any problems . I do notice that the output is a constant 8.6 V - perhaps some of yours need a full 9 V ?  Just a possibility .

anchovie

It's a noisy switch-mode power supply - I see quite a mess on the power line even after the filter caps in a circuit. I get hiss with some pedals but not all.

Basically a case of "you get what you pay for". Either upgrade the PSU or use a noise gate.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

craigmillard

Hey,

Cheers for the responses guys ;D Shame about the Power supply!

Anyways, what PSU's would you recommend for the cleanest line then?

and can my diy pedals be altered to filter the supply?

C :icon_razz:

craigmillard

Hi Guys,

I have found the issue, cheers for the ideas! ;D

Was the fact that the big muff and super fuzz don't have power filtering on them:( I added a 100ohm and 100uf, 0.047uf caps and it has stabilised the pedals!!:)

Dont know why i hadn't spotted that before, should pay more attention :o

This Big Muff is nice!!