Sunface-alike?

Started by BoxOfSnoo, October 26, 2010, 02:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoxOfSnoo

One project I can't seem to find is a Sunface-style germanium fuzz.  Is there a project out there that is similar?  I have already built an Axis Face (which I love) but I'd like something with a little different voice to it.  All of the videos I've seen of the Sunface NKT have made me lust after it but I'd love to save a few bucks and have some fun making it myself. 

I don't really want a wooly fuzz like a Muff or a splattery noise machine, I'd like the sensitivity and warmth I've seen in the videos for the Sunface (especially the red dot ones)...

Any suggestions?
My Dropbox referral link - bonus 250MB of space for both of us if you use it

Electric Warrior

It's a fuzz face. Go for dark sounding, low hfe (<90) germaniums.

blooze_man

As Gearmanndude said: "They took a Fuzz Face and killed it...with quality."
Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

BoxOfSnoo

I'm getting the idea that it's better to just buy the thing, to avoid having to get a major stock of germanium transistors to find just the right set.  Right?

reb

You can buy a matched set of transistors from Small Bear for a FF.  It will sound terrific.

BoxOfSnoo

Quote from: reb on October 27, 2010, 10:43:02 AM
You can buy a matched set of transistors from Small Bear for a FF.  It will sound terrific.

From what I know so far, absolutely NOTHING is as subjective as what sounds good in a fuzz.  To you terrific may be horrific to another guy!  That's why I specified Sunface, since everything I've heard of it sounds like my kinda thing...  Do you have sound clips & schematic or project to go along with that?

Of course some of John's boxes (Futureman and Scarab) sound awesome too, the only thing I'm worried about for those ones is if I'd need to tweak the bias.

petemoore

Any suggestions?
 Run any fuzzface through various amplifiers and guitars [include SS and ''non-master'' tube type amps].
 The variance in tones should be fantastic, ranging from fantastic to 'what the heck?'.
 To get at the soundclip level of SF applications requires...the SF, whatever is ''to the east'' to get the soundclip..the required stuff that makes huge difference sometimes.
 For SS amps...read what SS amp users found out about the FF>SS amplifier usage.
 For Tube amp...the settings and how much a FF is making the tube amp and speaker compress and distort range from being wide ranged to delicate.
 The output of a FF ranges from mild-near-unity to wild near a huge boost of output [controlled by guitar volume]...a lot of the change in tone ''may'' be found happening in the amplifier/speaker. Solid state amplifiers either do not distort ,or, may be considered a danger to speakers and society.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.