CV7112 - Gain?

Started by Jaicen_solo, October 26, 2010, 05:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaicen_solo

I have a handful of these that I sourced. They're brand new and come in little plastic baggie/tube things.
I thought that i'd do a quick gain check on them, however my DMM is coming up with either 000 or very low values like 003 etc..
Am I doing something wrong, as I can't seem to get a pinout that gives me a gain reading.
I plan to try these in my upcoming NPN Fuzz Face build, but can anyone give me any pointers on what's going on?

WangoFett

Looks like you might have the emitter and collector pins swapped in your test.
- Dave

trjones1

If I remember correctly, CV7112s do not have a set emitter or collector.  You can use either of the outside leads as emitter or collector.  The orientation just changes the amount of gain available.  I've made a few Rangemasters with these transistors and they've always sounded great (I got them pretested from Small Bear).

Sorry, I guess I don't have an answer to your question.

MartyMart

They should have a red dot that in this case ( was spoken about before ) indicates the collector.

BUT - as they are a very high quality military spec device they work almost exactly the same either way around !!
( symetrical - almost )
I have made a few great NPN Rangemasters and FF's with these, either you have a "duff" one or your hfe checker
is not working right.
From collector "dot" it's a straight line through the legs of C-B-E

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

WangoFett

Was it military spec for circuit assemblers to be able to get transistor pins mixed up but only in one particular way when building military stuff?
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
- Dave

bobson

Hi, do you still have these  transistors?