SD Tweak Fuzz Rotary Switch

Started by kleydj13, October 31, 2010, 03:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleydj13

I've got a guy who wants me to build him a fuzz face and he requested a rotary switch for tone adjustments, and it reminded me of the "tweak" function on Seymour Duncan's Tweak fuzz.  I found a schematic here:  http://analogguru.an.ohost.de/193/schematics/SeymourDuncan_TweakFuzz.gif

It looks to me like a fuzz face with some funky business going on with the input capacitor.  As I interpret it the rotary switch allows you to select varying values of the input cap creating an odd sort of tone control.  Its a sweet concept and I'd like to get it into a fuzz box for this guy.  

1.  I'd like some confirmation that this is in fact a fuzz face derivative with the rotary switch sorting through different input caps, I am not very proficient with schematics so I may very well be wrong
2.  Where does one get a switch like this and how do you wire it?  I've done this same sort of concept with a dpdt switch to give options with different caps or diodes.  I am not familiar with this kind of switch though.
3.  Any other ideas about how to get this sort of tone adjustment into a fuzz face?  I'm open to being creative and don't have to stick to the Tweak Fuzz by the exact specs.

I'll start with a breadboard build and fool around from there.  Once I get it all sorted out I'll put it into an enclosure via veroboard.  Thanks in advance.

Here's a pic of the schematic:

fuzzo

the rotary switch gives a lot of different sound. I built a hybrid fuzz face with it and sounded really great. It cut basses and gain in the same time.

you can also take a look at the "wolly mammoth" from zvex and its "pinch"  control , I put it in some of my circuits and sounds really cool (allow a "gated" or "buzzy" tone) .

QuoteI'll start with a breadboard build and fool around from there.

That's the best way to see what you can do on this circuit ( a lot of things !)   ;)

YouAre

Why do they use six 100k resistors instead of just wiring a 100k resistor to ground, or am I just missing something? Seems a bit silly to waste 5 extra resistors like that...

fuzzo

Certainly to avoid a loud "ploc" when you use the rotary switch on each positions.

YouAre

Of course my schematic dyslexia kicks in again...Thanks fuzzo!

LucifersTrip

Hello,

I use rotary switches to switch between input caps and transistors all the time.

I order from this guy. Very reasonable since he only charges .05 to ship each additional item.
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Pole-3-Position-Rotary-Switch-Non-Shorting-RBS1-4-/120638927132?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item1c16a3f11c#rpdId

It's cake to wire. Instead of the center lug on a dpdt switch, there is  a main lug (it is obvious. it's one of the center lugs).
You wire from the input to that center lug and then each of your 3 or 4  (or more) caps to the outside lugs nearest to the center lug you chose. You can easily check continuity with a DMM.

If you need a pic, I'll try to take one later. I would just build a standard Fuzz Face (or any fuzz with input cap) and breadboard with the rotary switch. If you find that it clicks loudly, then go with this more elaborate schematic with the 100k's. I've had no big clicking problems yet...

Note: you can add the rotary to ANY cap in the circuit with varied results. Input & output are usually the ones, tho for hi/lo.

good luck

Quote from: kleydj13 on October 31, 2010, 03:55:33 PM
I've got a guy who wants me to build him a fuzz face and he requested a rotary switch for tone adjustments, and it reminded me of the "tweak" function on Seymour Duncan's Tweak fuzz.  I found a schematic here:  http://analogguru.an.ohost.de/193/schematics/SeymourDuncan_TweakFuzz.gif

It looks to me like a fuzz face with some funky business going on with the input capacitor.  As I interpret it the rotary switch allows you to select varying values of the input cap creating an odd sort of tone control.  Its a sweet concept and I'd like to get it into a fuzz box for this guy.  

1.  I'd like some confirmation that this is in fact a fuzz face derivative with the rotary switch sorting through different input caps, I am not very proficient with schematics so I may very well be wrong
2.  Where does one get a switch like this and how do you wire it?  I've done this same sort of concept with a dpdt switch to give options with different caps or diodes.  I am not familiar with this kind of switch though.
3.  Any other ideas about how to get this sort of tone adjustment into a fuzz face?  I'm open to being creative and don't have to stick to the Tweak Fuzz by the exact specs.

I'll start with a breadboard build and fool around from there.  Once I get it all sorted out I'll put it into an enclosure via veroboard.  Thanks in advance.

always think outside the box

DDD

I've tried the similar circuitry with the input caps beginning from 270 pF (yes, 270 pF !) and up to 1 uF.
Well, I have to confirm that it gives a lot of drastically different sounds which are worth installing 5-position switch.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

jefe

There's also a way to have a "blendable" input cap using a pot and two caps, which allows you to basiclly dial in anything between the two cap values. I can't find a diagram for it right now, having trouble remembering what exactly to search for..

jefe

DDD

The above mentioned "blend methode" works absolutely different since it involves the series resitor to the input circuit. It controls mostly only low frequences level while switchable capacitors change resonant frequency of the tank formed by pickup inductance and input cap.
Switching caps give much more bright and tight sound.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

jefe

Quote from: DDD on November 02, 2010, 12:19:55 PM
The above mentioned "blend methode" works absolutely different since it involves the series resitor to the input circuit. It controls mostly only low frequences level while switchable capacitors change resonant frequency of the tank formed by pickup inductance and input cap.
Switching caps give much more bright and tight sound.

If you say so! I was just throwin it out there, just in case someone was interested.

kleydj13

Thanks for all the responses!  I'm definitely going to try the rotary switch for this guy, I've got one in the mail from eBay right now.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

I also am intrigued by Gagan's blend knob and will probably try that on my own Ge fuzz face that I've been tweaking around a lot with lately.  Thanks a lot everyone!

kleydj13

Update:

I got the switch in, I ordered the 4 pole 3 way that was linked earlier in this thread.  I'm wondering how I will wire it up.  There are 4 terminals on the inner rung and 12 terminals on the outside rung.  I found this picture online somewhere and was wondering if this matches my switch.

To my knowledge the 4 inner terminals serve as separate inputs that export to 3 of the terminals on the outer rung.  I'm not too knowledgeable about how switches work however, and so I'm a little confused. 

LucifersTrip

Quote from: kleydj13 on November 08, 2010, 07:23:05 PM
Update:

I got the switch in, I ordered the 4 pole 3 way that was linked earlier in this thread.  I'm wondering how I will wire it up.  There are 4 terminals on the inner rung and 12 terminals on the outside rung.  I found this picture online somewhere and was wondering if this matches my switch.

To my knowledge the 4 inner terminals serve as separate inputs that export to 3 of the terminals on the outer rung.  I'm not too knowledgeable about how switches work however, and so I'm a little confused. 

Since you chose the 3 way you can get 3 different sounds.

You wire from the input to one of the 4 center lugs [the lugs right next to the letter] and then each of your 3 caps to the outside lugs nearest [same color] to the center lug you chose.

So, you will be using either one of the 4 colors. The other 3 colors remain unused.
always think outside the box

fuzzo

Instead of using a 4X3 switch take a 1X6 for the input cap! the 4X3 can be fun if you chose to change the output cap in the same time (it plays on bass response too).

I agree with the fact the "blend" knob is less useable than the rotoswitch which gives a lot of things.

A thing , also, people don't really do is increasing the 330/470ohm resitor until 1K to get more output volume and puting a 100K volume pot .

jefe

Quote from: kleydj13 on November 08, 2010, 07:23:05 PM
Update:

Yes, the picture you found matches your switch.. 4P3T.

Check out the Beavis Audio page on switches: http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Switches/
Scroll down to the "Roll your own Tone Stack" section - it shows a different switch (1 pole, 12 position), but hopefully you can see how to wire multiple caps.