Tonepad Phase 90 not Phasing

Started by jkokura, November 10, 2010, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Weird. I've gotten to be alright at my debugging, but I think I need help on this one. http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=7

So the phase 90 bypasses sound, and when engaged the sound changes slightly but doesn't have the phasing it should. No phase at all. Played with the trimmer - the weird thing is if I turn the trimmer back and forth I can make it sound like it's phasing, but I can't find a spot where it was phasing whatsoever. In a similar way, playing around with pressing my finger to the solder side of the board can give me phasing type sounds. I had consistent oscillation that was affected in speed when I used the pot at one time, but it wasn't perfect, so I tried adjusting the trimmer, lost the phasing and haven't gotten it back. It also seems like playing around with the FETs can impact the circuit too, just by jiggling or tweaking them. Never got normal phasing like i was wanting to either. Also, I tried changing out the FETs for another matched set. This set wasn't matched as well as the first ones, but I've read it should still phase even though they aren't matched, so I thought perhaps trying some new ones might work.

My measurements on all my 2N5952's (matched) are all the same (Q1-Q4):
G:1.035   S:3.58   D:3.574

My measurements on my 2N4125 is:
E:1.78   B:2.992   C:3.58

My TL072's seem to have normal readings. 4 is to ground, 8 is to power, and all the rest are somewhat half of power. In some cases those numbers weren't perfectly equal, but I can't find what they 'should' read online. Will post them if I need to, but I don't think they're the problem.

I've read that changing the Zener can help, but I don't have anything in the right range to change it out for. I have a bunch of different diodes, and some Zeners, but nothing even CLOSE to the 5.1V one I have in there.

ANY suggestions would be helpful.

Jacob

maarten

If you can get a phasing type of sound, then probably the fets and the opamps they are connected to, are working well. Either the clock is not working (IC 1B), maybe you can check the signal there (e.g. with an earphone) to see whether it is ticking, or the envelope follower around IC 1A is not working properly. I suspect the clock works, as you are getting phasing type sounds when you put your finger on the solder. So concentrate on the follower: is there signal coming in when you strike a cord, and is it getting past IC 1A?

Hope this helps, good luck,
Maarten

jkokura

Oh I've got signal, but I haven't probed yet. I've got signal when the pedal is engaged. I'll take a closer look at the IC's as you recommended.

Jacob

jkokura

jdub

QuoteIn a similar way, playing around with pressing my finger to the solder side of the board can give me phasing type sounds.
QuoteIt also seems like playing around with the FETs can impact the circuit too, just by jiggling or tweaking them.

It almost sounds like you might have a broken trace or cold solder joint, based on the above observations.  I had a similar problem once, and it turned out that the pin from the socket for the one of the FETs was making only intermittent contact due to a insecure solder joint.  Though, given your experience, I expect that you've already checked for these...just $0.02.
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

joelherbert

I have an Ibanez BC-9, and the switch doesn't take sometimes. I have to really push the pedal or hold it down to make it click on or off. I took it apart today, which was fun, but in the process, the black wire broke off from the switch so now it doesn't work at all. I suppose this is a simple soldering issue...? But I'm not sure what to do about the switch... now that I broke it, should I replace the switch, or just solder the wire back on and clean the switch out with alcohol? I'm not sure how to get the switch open or if I even need to to clean it. My guess is it hasn't been opened up since before I was born! It's a really cool pedal, though. Thoughts, anyone? I am brand new to electric guitars and pedals...

jkokura

I'm curious Joel, why you're posting that here. I imagine you can get some help, even from me, but you should likely start your own thread and there will be people able to help.

And Jdub, I think I will try reflowing some spots. It is strange to me, I hope I can get it to work.

Jacob

joelherbert

I was wondering that too... I'm probably missing something really obvious, but I couldn't find anything on the site that said anything similar to "start new thread" or "New Post". The only thing I could find was "Reply". So that's what I did... :-P

jkokura

If you go here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?board=2.0

Take a look at the right side almost at the top. You'll see three buttons: Reply, Notify and "New Topic"

You want to press New Topic.

Hope that helps.

Jacob

askwho69

i think the trace or cb maybe there is something or little thing that was connected?  :icon_mrgreen: just trying to help :)
"To live is to die"