LocoBox TubeManiax

Started by stickninja, November 14, 2010, 12:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twabelljr

QuoteThe diodes look similar to the Japanese silicon diodes in a Tube screamer, I'd guess any silicon diodes would work, the exact sort of diode doesn't normally make much difference. The mystery components could be some sort of diode as well.  

I agree. I've seen those red and blue diodes in alot of older equipment. I think they are signal diodes. To get a real value measure their forward voltage drop. Try the same with the mystery components. If you can remove one and reinstall it without damaging it, try to measure forward votage to see if it's a diode, try measuring capacitance to see if it's a cap of some type. It definately appears to have polarity markings on it. (diode, tantalum cap)? Too bad they don't have any ID markings of any type to help. Bummer..or maybe the white end does id a capacitane value??
Shine On !!!

Perrow

Quote from: stickninja on November 18, 2010, 07:57:23 PM
nice man, you made those with the diy layout creator i assume....when you use that in PCB mode, does it export/print at scale? in other words, will the IC fit in that without manipulation?

Yes, diylc (2.0 beta). I regretfully have to say that I've not yet come to the point where I etch, so I can't really answer that question, but I've seen people say that they do print OK, just have to find the right dpi setting in the program you use to print it. I seem to remember 166 dpi, but I might be wrong. Hope someone who knows chimes in, otherwise do a search on diylc and dpi :)

This thread says 160 dpi.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

stickninja

good to know, I'm gonna continue work on trying to draw up a schematic today, i will test those diodes.  as far as transistors goes, it seems that all of them have different numbers, would it change the sound drastically to replace them all with a more readily available model? and also, is there a way of knowing whether they are PNP or NPN other than searching the net for their model number?

slacker

If you want to do a faithful clone including the switching, then  it would be useful to find out what Q4 and Q5 are, hopefully you can do that from the part numbers.  Apart from that, assuming my schematic is correct all the others are most likely NPN transistors, it would certainly work fine if they were.

stickninja

speaking of the switching, could you explain whats going on there?  You said its ingenious, but im having a hard time working it out in my head, is there a way to wire it for true bypass with a 3PDT with out changing to much?

stickninja

so the the forwrd voltage of all the diodes is .583, and the mystery components are at about .989, what could be used for these? any suggestions?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: stickninja on November 19, 2010, 02:50:49 PM
so the the forwrd voltage of all the diodes is .583, and the mystery components are at about .989, what could be used for these? any suggestions?

I believe, 1N914s or 1N4148s have about a 1V forward voltage to replace the "mystery components."  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

nicoguitare

Hi,
(i'm french so excuse me for my poor english...)
I want to make this pedal but i don't look the component's values (R, C, Q...) ?

Manny

Quote from: nicoguitare on January 11, 2011, 11:27:50 AM
Hi,
(i'm french so excuse me for my poor english...)
I want to make this pedal but i don't look the component's values (R, C, Q...) ?

Hi, they've not been measured yet. I'll sure a schematic will be posted here once they have been.
I'm looking forward to uncovering the mystery of this pedal as well  :)

nicoguitare

Thanks for your post, so i'm waiting !! :icon_biggrin:

hair force one

hair force one

...which is same pedal as the locobox tubemaniax...

Steben

Quote from: stickninja on November 19, 2010, 02:50:49 PM

cool!

I bet they are both silicon, but different
the smallest drop could be 1N914
it all depends on the test current

for sure: the higher drop is a higher drop. looks like silicon+germanium in one !!!
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

nicoguitare

Thanks for post shematic

Perrow

Quote from: nicoguitare on July 20, 2011, 03:05:35 PM
Thanks for post shematic

If you verify my PCB layout, please post that you did :-)
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Liquitone

Thanks a lot for this! I have a tubemaniax i bought shortly after i got my first guitar and amp, it sounded really great,. very pronounced, tube-schreamer like.
stupid thing is,. at the time I was dissapointed it was an overdrive cause my postorder-amp (the animal,whekamp) already had a distortion toggle switch on it :P
It was only later when I realized it was actually a very nice sounding pedal.
Somehow the guts have dissapeared and are lost!,. only have the box now, which i never threw away cause it looks kind of great (wierd orange yellow),
and hoping i would find the schematic for it one day..

sevenisthenumber

I know this thread is ancient but does anyone have a good verified schematic of this? I really want to build one out as I played one and it was really interesting.

Mark Hammer

In situations like this, a useful resource is the effectsdatabase.  Bart Provoost does a fantastic job of tracing "family relationships" among pedals, where a particular pedal and design was produced under a variety of product names/brands.  Perhaps one of those listed here - http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/locobox/70s/tubemaniax#links - will provide a schematic for you.