"Sewer Pipes Ring-Verb" Simple PT2399 One-Knob Effect

Started by Earthscum, November 15, 2010, 02:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavenPaget

1590B , definitely . 1590A , not enough room for pots .
Hiatus

PereatMundus

Quote from: DavenPaget on December 14, 2011, 09:30:35 AM
1590B , definitely . 1590A , not enough room for pots .

Quote from: PereatMundus on December 14, 2011, 09:14:29 AM
If it wasnt for those pesky too big 9mm alpha pots ;)   one "could" fit much more stuff in a 1590A .
a Delay+Reverb+Chorus PT2399, 1590A pedal ... would be.. kind of cool..

yep like I said :)

one thing thou...   Alpha 9mm pots, and tiny knobs. does fit in a 3x4 grid together with jacks and 3PDT and two PCBs in a 1590A.
(thats the thing, 2 effects and knobs for 3 or 3 effects and knobs for 2.)
it "could" be possible.  but one hell of a headache..  having to use the PC mount alphas

one "can" make a 12 Pot 1590A But will be just silly..   3 pots in a row on a 1590A is annoying to control.
was gonna make 3 knobs in a row on my ocd clone. but was just to little space to control the thing:
So its 2pots and one Toggleswitch in a row and the third pot in a triangle shape with the other two.

after that one I use mostly:

So it can actually be controlled, the -knobs- are still a tad to big so they get used in that triangle shape I used on the OCD aswell.
the:

would fit in a 3x4 grid But again to damned close to be good to use.

I've ended up using the 3x4 grid, BUT center space is for toggle switches.
Guitars: Westone Prestige 150 - Aria Pro II CS-400BnG
Amps: 5150 - SloClone
Fx: 20+ DIY (100+)
Play: Kraut/Death/Industrial/Noise
Pereat Mundus Et Furia Tempo-Leena Krohn/Schopenhauer

Earthscum

Quote from: DavenPaget on December 13, 2011, 10:02:25 PM
Oh yes , does the 50k resonance pot really need to be logarithimic pot ?

Ugh... I've been cleaning and somehow lost mine... if I remember, it had the best balance right around 40k, and between about 40k and 30k was a bit touchy. I think it goes from fairly flat sounding to a short concrete tunnel sound within that 10k range, and then just more and more like you're playing in the middle of a freeway tunnel.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

cpm

looks like a weird feedback setup.
you have a 33k fixed feedback resistor into the PT input stage. However the 220n and 10k back to pin 6 looks like a low pass filter but too broad to be noticeable? therefore feedback is a fixed ratio
I dont think that tying it to pin 6 makes any difference, is it supposed to cause some modulation on the clock? i couldnt hear it on the clips. Probably if it were DC coupled it could make enough wrcek on the oscillator...
Resonance control, looks like a paraller resitor to 1k delay resistor, does it sound different from conecting it directly on pin 6?

the filter on the output, pins 13 & 14, looks like its 1 cap away from the standard 2nd order filter. You could spare the rightmost 10k in the right, making it a wire and changing the cap to 3n.

Looks like a cool little project for the 2399, but probably it can be even more small! :)

Earthscum

Yeah, I kinda figured that out later. When I first started breadboarding this, I was using much lower resistances and larger caps. I had totally forgot about impedance when I was playing with it, so you're right... it has minimal effect on pin 6 at this point. After I get done with this wah project I'm on at the moment, I may plug this back into the board and retry some things. Originally, the incoming signal would float the current at pin 6, adding a chorusing effect, but I couldn't control the amount, or basically how big. I was looking at the design, and I have another idea that I'm going to try. I think I need to revisit this thing, lol.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

Joseeduardosn

Quote from: frequencycentral on November 19, 2010, 02:57:26 PM
Another great sounding PT project. I particularly liked the second 'Bazz' clip. Anyways, layout! Please someone check it for dumb errors. I added a 1M pulldown at the input. Some of the cap values I found hard (Is that a decimal point? No wait, it's moving, must be an electron) to read - tiny schematic! The optional resonance can easily be added off-board. Enjoy!

This layout is verified?

Earthscum

Quote from: Joseeduardosn on July 22, 2012, 10:49:53 PM
This layout is verified?

Yes.  ;D

This is used, at the moment, on the breadboard. I think I'm gonna put it in a box with a Madbeans SlapChop.

At the moment, C1 and C2 are 2.2nF and 10nF in the picture. Seems to help get rid of some of the hissy decay, but kinda drops the resonance of the effect a bit.

Craiz

I remember being absolutely astounded at the soundclips a while ago, but now they seem to be down. If you've got a spare moment, do you think you could  record a quick youtube clip or something while that's on the breadboard?

In return, here's a little something I think you might like concerning your Chipdrive. Try dropping the voltage. At a certain point, (not much resistance. I didn't measure, sorry, but it's just a bit down on a 10k pot. You'll hear it when you hit the sweet spot, the drive changes character.), you hit this 'sweet spot' and- magic. The drive changes a bit, as mentioned, and something crazy happens. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but the notes start cascading down from what you played. Think the Wren and Cuff Grey Box. It takes the note you play and - cascades is the only word I can think of - down. Sounds really cool, especially up high on the neck. Works best for me with the guitar volume down on about three. Enjoy!

Earthscum

Kickass on the CD. Gonna have to try it... I'll mess around a bit with current regulating, too. That would be key to getting a consistent sound and let the battery drain down a bit more without exiting that sweet spot.

I really need to make a vid for this... The SlapChop (ChopShop now? Harmonic Energizer clone) uses buffered bypass, which I wasn't going to use but got adventurous populating the board. I've been working on some guitar synth circuits, and tried one out through the SC. The sound was pretty good, handles the upper harmonics really well. I decided to take and mix the dry and wet signals... meh. Then I got the idea to run the SewerPipe off of the clean side, and played with the output mix. F'ing fantastic sounding!

This circuit definitely responds to the harmonics (I used a Bazz Fuss in the clips). From what I've experienced so far, I'd consider it a viable module for a synth guitar project.

deadastronaut

looks great, that would be a nice addition to a delay too....hmmm...i was going to build a dual delay box, but i'll hang on till i get to hear this too....cool stuff david. :icon_cool:

vid ?..pretty please!.. :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

GodSaveMetal

I´m doing my home work for these pedal for those who like all in one here is the ONE!!!:

Thanks Earthscum & RICK for this great pedal; In 2 or 3 month I recieve some PT´s directly from CHINA!!! and made some of the PTs aventures!! great man great!!!!!

syntaxera

Quote from: frequencycentral on November 19, 2010, 02:57:26 PM
Another great sounding PT project. I particularly liked the second 'Bazz' clip. Anyways, layout! Please someone check it for dumb errors. I added a 1M pulldown at the input. Some of the cap values I found hard (Is that a decimal point? No wait, it's moving, must be an electron) to read - tiny schematic! The optional resonance can easily be added off-board. Enjoy!

no ground on the input and output? 

any reason why? 

knutolai

Syntaxera:
My guess as with most schematics. The sleeve of the input and output jack sockets are connected to ground. Im not sure how new you are to audio electronics, but this is always how it is done if not otherwise stated.  ;)

I found a youtube demo of this pedal, though the audio isn't exactly great:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA3YlElmI_Y

jogina111

can I change one of the 1nf caps to 2nf? 'cause I ran out of 1nf caps. If yes, which one?

noisette

You can put 2 2n in series for 1n response...

EDIT: Oh well, that question was 2012  ::)

I also like to share another thing I found out with this nice little circuit:
Above there is a ´cascading effect´ mentioned somehow related to dropping supply voltage.
I don´t know about that, but you get the same effect if you take 2200u cap and place the neg. end to pin 6 with
the pos. end to GND. With longer delay times it sounds REALLY nice.

Try this if you build this pedal (it might also work with different 2399 circuits) and add a whole new dimension to it.
I made it switched and called the function ´nausea´... ;D
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
― Kurt Vonnegut

knutolai

Quoteplace the neg. end to pin 6 with
the pos. end to GND. With longer delay times it sounds REALLY nice.

whaaaaaa??? dont you mean place the pos. end to pin 6? Whouldn't the cap. scream and die or something? (I've never actually killed a electrolytic cap. :P

noisette

Yes, that´s right, but with 2200u nothing actually happens but cool envelope style modulation on the delay time...

I´ve killed some caps and i´d say the effect is fitting for new years eve  :D
― Kurt Vonnegut

knutolai

QuoteYes, that´s right, but with 2200u nothing actually happens but cool envelope style modulation on the delay time...

I´ve killed some caps and i´d say the effect is fitting for new years eve  Cheesy

Sweet. Doesn't sound like a very durable design though  :P Happy new year

noisette

Ah, it´s easy to misunderstand the way I wrote it, but I killed no cap with this mod, I was just meaning `in the past´...
This one I had on the breadboard for hours and days and nothing happened. I guess because the currents involved with pin 6 are just very small...

I wished someone would try it, since the effect was really astounding, making me just listen and play around with it for quite some time,
like stumbling over a treasure chest :D Maybe I´ll build it again and post a soundsnippet!
― Kurt Vonnegut

knutolai