Stupid question about stabilized power supply

Started by lazerphea, November 18, 2010, 09:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazerphea

Hello!
I want to buy a multi-voltage power supply to power my stompboxes (9V or 12V essentially). Does a 0,5A could do the job? I'm looking at this one in particular: http://www.banzaimusic.com/Minwa-PS-895GSF-S.html

Thanks all!

R.G.

Probably.

The only reason that's not "Yes." is that there are some pedals which pull a very large amount of current. A typical pedal pulls perhaps 1ma to 50ma from the power supply. Most are on the lower end of that, maybe 5ma to 20ma. Your 0.5A is equal to 500ma, so it could power ten pedals that each pull 50ma, 25 pedals that pull 20ma, and 100 pedals that pull 5ma each.

The problem will be if you have some of the pedals that pull 100ma or 200ma. These are usually delay pedals or digital-circuit based effects.

So it's "probably" depending on what pedals you have.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

lazerphea

Quote from: R.G. on November 18, 2010, 09:31:18 AM
Probably.

The only reason that's not "Yes." is that there are some pedals which pull a very large amount of current. A typical pedal pulls perhaps 1ma to 50ma from the power supply. Most are on the lower end of that, maybe 5ma to 20ma. Your 0.5A is equal to 500ma, so it could power ten pedals that each pull 50ma, 25 pedals that pull 20ma, and 100 pedals that pull 5ma each.

The problem will be if you have some of the pedals that pull 100ma or 200ma. These are usually delay pedals or digital-circuit based effects.

So it's "probably" depending on what pedals you have.

Thank you R.G.!
Honestly I was thinking about powering just one stompbox with that power supply, because it only have just one plug... am I missing something, i.e., how could I power more than one effect with it?
If this could be possible, the pedals I'd like to power are mostly distortions ( maybe two or three from a TS808, Distortion+, Fuzz face, Barber Silver LTD and BSIAB2), two compressors (Orange Squeezer and DOD280), a delay (Rebote 2.5), a tremolo (Tremulus Lune) and a chorus.
Thanks again!

petemoore

Never draw more current than the power supply is rated for.
  Add up the circuits total draw, add some 'elbow room' [at least 10% to PS rating] between drawn current total, and current rating of the supply.
  If PS output rating isn't above calculated current draw, a bigger rating [bigger supply] or second power supply [divide the current draw appropriately from the two supplies] will be needed. 
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ayayay!

Quoteam I missing something, i.e., how could I power more than one effect with it?

As long as it doesn't exceed 500mA total, you can daisychain it.  (Actually Pete is right, 400mA total is a good stopping point.)  I'll do the shameless plug for a product R.G. might recommend...

http://www.visualsound.net/index.php/products/pedal_power_supplies/multi-plug_8_cable_mc8
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

MikeH

Quote from: lazerphea on November 18, 2010, 09:43:09 AM
Honestly I was thinking about powering just one stompbox with that power supply, because it only have just one plug... am I missing something, i.e., how could I power more than one effect with it?

I believe he means with a daisy chain or something like that
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

ayayay!

Isn't that what I said MikeH?  ...I've been known to confuse people before though...
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

lazerphea

Thanks everyone guys! I wasn't unaware of the existence of those daisy chains cables!! Thanks a lot!

ayayay!

No problem.  I've got 3 of them running underneath my board.  :)

As long as the total of all your pedals doesn't exceed the maximum output your supply can give on each chain, you'll be fine.  :)