ExpressPCB to Gerber?

Started by John Lyons, November 24, 2010, 11:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lyons

I know this can be done, just wondering if any of you smart folks can
drop some wisdom on me.  :icon_wink:
Express PCB does export gerber as they use there own software
and I'd like to be able to send to another fabrication house if need be.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

R.G.

I went through this with Express a ways back. They explained that they do not do this, as the free software is intended to drive business to their fab.

I quit using Express, even for quick and dirty boards.

Simplest thing to do is to find software that does convert to Gerber and use it. I recommend it.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Steve Mavronis

This doesn't answer John's question but you don't have to use ExpressPCB's board making service if you can etch your own PCB's instead. That's what I do. Even so their mini-board service is an affordable option if you must have them made.
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

John Lyons

I've been using expresspcb for a few years now. Simple and does the job for me.
I have had .pcb files converted to gerber, I just want to do it myself now for work
other than for myself. I know how to get around the quirks for etching my own stuff,
just need to send gerbers out every now and then.
Anyone else?
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Lurco

MoltenVoltage

I called about 10 different PCB companies and none of them would convert ExpressPCB files.

I just wanted 1/2" holes and Express software limits you to 1/4" holes.

Would also like to know a simple solution, as I like the simplicity of Express' software.
MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

theehman

Someone posted in here a while back offering their services to convert ExpressPCB to Gerber.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

Ice-9

I found a link to a simple tutorial how to convert expressPCB to Gerber. I had a very quick look at the thread but have no idea if it's any use to you.

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2491

Hope it helps
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

davent

John there's info out there on converting pdf's to Gerber files, easy to get the pdf from ExpressPCB so it might be possible to take the next step. Haven't tried it myself but may get you to where you want.

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/09/convert_pdf_to_gerber_and.html

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

R.G.

Remember that manufacturers need two things: Gerber files per layer, which describes the geometric shapes of the copper spaces, and an NC drill file which describes where the holes go and what size they are.

Simple conversion of the artwork to Gerber through Express -> PDF -> DXF -> (insert steps here) -> Gerber probably will not give you an NC drill file. This can be hand generated if you're knowledgeable and error free, but I wouldn't want to try it. You need that NC drill file for modern board houses to make your boards.

Given a printed layout from Express, I have done the obvious: set the grid in a real PCB program to equal the grid in Express and done a re-layout in another PCB program.  This is pretty simple to actually do, given that you have matching components. I suspect that this is what the "conversion to Gerber" offer really entails behind the scenes. I can do this for the simple 3-fer board size from Express in under half an hour. I've done this with Easytrax. I understand that Altium (was Protel) now lets you have Autotrax for free, and that's simple enough.

But it's mindless, error prone work. I find it's simpler never to go through Express at all. Express does not do things like show you connection lists and error checking against a schematic, or didn't when I quit using it.

Express is good for simple, few-at-a-time boards. It's intended to rope people into using their board service, and deliberately neutered to make going elsewhere difficult. I don't like those restrictions, and so I chose to do the work to get outside the restrictions for good. Remember TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

~arph

I've started on KiCAD but it is a bit of a hassle getting the right footprints or even change a foorprint when you are already making the PCB.
Thing is, I need big boards, and schematic support. KiCAD does both.. for free. oh and it exports gerber.

R.G.

Footprints are an issue with all PCB programs.

Fortunately, it's easy to get the resistors, capacitors, ICs and so on done ahead of time. It's the switches, pots, and so on that take the time.
R.G.

Ice-9

I'm trying to figure this out and have an idea how to do it but as i don't use ExpressPCB i don't have any files. I would have thought when i downloaded Express pcb there would have been a few example files in there to mess with and  i can't find any in a quick search on this forum either. So if anyone can point me to an ExpressPCB layout then i will give it a go for you. (ant pcb file will do)
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Fender3D

Quote from: ~arph on November 25, 2010, 11:16:21 AM
I've started on KiCAD but it is a bit of a hassle getting the right footprints or even change a foorprint when you are already making the PCB.
Thing is, I need big boards, and schematic support. KiCAD does both.. for free. oh and it exports gerber.

+100000

PS
you'd better create your footprints, saving them in a proper folder helps when updating the software.
Download Wings3D and you can design your 3D models too.
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

davent

Quote from: Ice-9 on November 25, 2010, 12:55:46 PM
I'm trying to figure this out and have an idea how to do it but as i don't use ExpressPCB i don't have any files. I would have thought when i downloaded Express pcb there would have been a few example files in there to mess with and  i can't find any in a quick search on this forum either. So if anyone can point me to an ExpressPCB layout then i will give it a go for you. (ant pcb file will do)

The Hoffman Amp Forum has a section on ExpressPCB where you can grab some files to play around with.

http://www.el34world.com/Forum/index.php?board=12.0

Also have a  library of custom components to download, heavy on the tube compliment.

Quote from: R.G. on November 25, 2010, 10:35:54 AM

But it's mindless, error prone work. I find it's simpler never to go through Express at all. Express does not do things like show you connection lists and error checking against a schematic, or didn't when I quit using it.

Express is good for simple, few-at-a-time boards. It's intended to rope people into using their board service, and deliberately neutered to make going elsewhere difficult. I don't like those restrictions, and so I chose to do the work to get outside the restrictions for good. Remember TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Thats taken care of now, you can link the pcb to a schematic so when you click on a component pad all the other pads connected to it will be indicated. You're also notified if there are any missing components in that highlighted web.

Great porgram for creating artwork you're going to process yourself but you're out of luck if you need to use board services.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

nelson

I don't understand why you'd go to the hassle of learning the peculiarities of a particular CAD program if you can't export the file type you require....

designspark.com has free software that can utilise all of the extensive eagle libraries and has no limitations.

I use eagle, but AFAIK that's a decent free alternative.

Eagle isn't hard to pick up, and there is plenty of information online to quickly reference if you're stumped on how to do something.

Plus, Gaussmarkov has libraries custom designed with our hobby in mind that can be imported into design spark or utilised with eagle.

Eagle do a student version of their software that's not too expensive. Or, if you know where to look, you can bypass its limitations.  ;)

The fully featured version of Eagle is ridiculously expensive.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

~arph

Yeah, and Eagle free limits you to 8x10 cm, and it sucks when you hit that limit. Otherwise eagle is my #1 choise. Let's get back on topic and take this to the software room

John Lyons

Yes, eagle is obviously better. But I'm not using eagle.
I make my own boards so gerber isn't usually a problem.
Like I said, I need to make a board for someone at a fab gouse
so that's why gerber is needed. Thanks for the links guys!
I'll check those out.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

JKowalski

I'm going to try futurlec pretty soon for PCB manufacture - they have decent prices, and they accept practically any type of format including expressPCB.

CGDARK

Quote from: Lurco on November 25, 2010, 12:39:07 AM
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=65886.0 and http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=75103.0 for others that got the same question!
I have done lots of conversions to forum members and clients and I still do these jobs. If someone is interested drop me a line. As I said in this link: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=75103.0 my fees are based on board size and complexity.

Regards, 

CG