Smooth Creamy Over Drive

Started by Arn C., October 01, 2003, 11:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn C.

I am looking for a schematic of an overdrive that gives a smooth creamy overdrive sound.  I want to incorporate this in the front end of a small amp I am modding.  Nothing too serious though,  just something simple and quick.
Thanks!
Arn C.

petemoore

Sounds like a Tubescreamer...
 I get Smooth&Creamy going through a Jfet Stratoblaster>Micro Amp>
 The DOD OD 250 is more grind than a TS, using two seriesed pairs of BTB diodes, or LED's for clipping reduces the grind and more output is had.
  In order of severity...
  1. The Boosters
  2. TS [diddle with the clippers][diodes LED's]
  3. 250  [Diddle with the clippers & gain knob]
  Oh .. a Low gain FF does this Real well and is very variable and flexible, can get lotta output from 2 trannies.
  Try a Sili Face II...mess with the input resistor value, and the feedback resistor value [goes between Q1 base and Q2 emitter], incap, and guitar volume control!!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

gez

Try a CMOS circuit.  Some are better than others, but they can sound superb when set up right.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Mark Hammer

Doug Hammond's "Meteor" seems like a pretty good candidate based on JC Maillet's soundclip.

Doug H

Quote from: Mark HammerDoug Hammond's "Meteor" seems like a pretty good candidate based on JC Maillet's soundclip.

Where's his soundclip? I could only find the "nose grinder" clip on his page.

Doug

keninverse

Peter Snowberg

As Gez suggested, try a CMOS inverter circuit. Play with the capacitors and you'll find some sound with the texture of almond butter. Not like creamy JIF peanut butter, but not like chuncky at all.

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

idlefaction

Darren
NZ

Mark Hammer

Doug,  I'm not sure where I got the soundclip from.  he might have sent it to me or may have included a link to it when he posted some mods he made to his own Meteor.  I have the soundfile at home but not here at work.  If you can't find it by tomorrow, you can try getting me to ship it to you.  JC can give you a run for your money on leads!

Doug H

Quote from: Mark HammerDoug,  I'm not sure where I got the soundclip from.  he might have sent it to me or may have included a link to it when he posted some mods he made to his own Meteor.  I have the soundfile at home but not here at work.  If you can't find it by tomorrow, you can try getting me to ship it to you.  JC can give you a run for your money on leads!

Mark, if you don't mind, could you email it to me when you get a chance?

Re. JC's playing: I love his nosegrinder clip! I wonder what's in that thing?

Doug

Arn C.

Mark Hammer wrote:
Doug Hammond's "Meteor" seems like a pretty good candidate

Mark how can I get rid of the 3 band tone control and just have one pot?

gez wrote:
Try a CMOS circuit. Some are better than others, but they can sound superb when set up right.

Could you point me to some of these circuits?

Thanks everyone for your replies!
Arn C.

Doug H

Quote from: Arn C.Mark Hammer wrote:
Doug Hammond's "Meteor" seems like a pretty good candidate

Mark how can I get rid of the 3 band tone control and just have one pot?

Arn C.

I'll answer that. :)

JC posted some mods he did to the meteor on Aron's old forum. Part of the mod was eliminating the tone stack. I don't know if his has a tone control at all. I have the text file at home. I said I would put this variation on my site a while ago and have not done it yet (bad doug...). I'll check at home and get this up on my site ASAP. (If I could get the clip and had permission, I would love to post it or link to it too- that would be cool.)

Doug

WGTP

I think he replace the tone stack with a .001uf cap.  I would socket it. :)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

gez

Quote from: Arn C.gez wrote:
Try a CMOS circuit. Some are better than others, but they can sound superb when set up right.

Could you point me to some of these circuits?

Andertons tube type fuzz (though fuzz is a misnomer) in schematics is the original ciruit (guitar player one is better).  There are also some links there to some variations on the theme.  There's also the double D at runoff, and a couple of circuits at Tim E's site, plus the original Hot Tubes by EH.  

I can even email you a circuit of my own if you're interested.  (just mail me)
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Arn C.

Thank you everyone for your replies!

Where is the supanova schematic located?

Thanks!
Arn C.

Marcos - Munky

I think in General Guitar Gadgets. You will find a soundclip in Runoffgroove. The Meteor sounds very cool, too.

Doug H

Quote from: Arn C.Thank you everyone for your replies!

Where is the supanova schematic located?

Thanks!
Arn C.

Schematics 2.

Doug

petemoore

I believe the SupNova is at JD Sleep's site
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Phorhas

Electron Pusher

Arn C.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction gents!

Arn C.