Transistor socket issues

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, November 28, 2010, 04:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

I am currently using transistor sockets that look like this but from mill-max:

https://www.egr.msu.edu/eceshop/Parts_Inventory/images/3%20Pin%20To-5%20Transistor%20Socket.jpg

My problem is that when I insert the transistor, it keeps falling out!  >:(

Might be a noob question but, does anyone else have this problem and how do I fix it?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

tubelectron

Hi Govmnt_Lacky,

Funny issue ! I barely use transistor sockets but I have used exactly this model on my GX-1814 transistor tester with success... Just because it was quite easy to install and remove the transistors to be tested ! So it's not really surprising... May I suggest you to use foam in your stompbox to immobilize the transistor in its socket ? I often use that solution for PCBs, to avoid dangling (and unwanted larsen or parasitic vibration noises) instead of fixing it firmly, like in these DIY wahs :

A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

darron

I don't really use sockets, but they look like the more expensive machined ones rather than the cast metal type.

My experience is once you know what you are keeping in the circuit, solder it in. I've read that one reason other than just being knocked out is that thermal cycling expands the lead an pushes it out, but then of course doesn't suck it back in. If you really need them in there then you'd just have to find a way to mechanically secure them. Maybe thick foam on the back plate pushing them down?
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

oomnelson

Hi, I found the solution by using "nail enamel", I just put a little amount of it, and everything keeps in place.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: oomnelson on November 28, 2010, 08:59:56 PM
Hi, I found the solution by using "nail enamel", I just put a little amount of it, and everything keeps in place.

Ahhhhh YES! The old tried and true solution. Why didn't I think of that?  8)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

caress

darron

Quote from: caress on November 28, 2010, 10:40:29 PM
or a small dab of hot glue

hot glue is very cool. i use it on the DC jack and stuff that i don't want to come loose. if you ever need to take it out it rips out pretty easily without any mess.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!