Self oscillation filter?

Started by SISKO, December 01, 2010, 08:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SISKO

Im planning on building a filter for guitar pedal use with a resonance control that when maxed, itll oscillate.
Is there any circuit for this?
I tried tim escobedos QyD VCF. It did oscillate but only on the high travel of the pot. Also tried the DOD FX-25, but this did not oscillate.
I know a ladder filter would be great for this, but theres no guitar pedal adaption for this :P
--Is there any body out there??--

space_ryerson

You could build the korg monotron ms-20 filter. There's a thread with a schematic here.

DDD

"T.M.K." by Tim Escobedo is what you're looking for.  ;)
It also can be controlled with guitar volume and tone knobs as well as with it's own controls.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

SISKO

Quote from: space_ryerson on December 01, 2010, 11:06:38 PM
You could build the korg monotron ms-20 filter. There's a thread with a schematic here.

Yeah! It was the first filter I tought about. Anyway, I wanted to know if there where others similars circuits that I didnt know.
Im gonna read that thread, I know Tim Escobedo has a similiar circuit for this http://folkurban.com/Site/9VpoweredMS20SallenKeyLPVCF-690.html

Quote from: DDD on December 02, 2010, 11:23:34 AM
"T.M.K." by Tim Escobedo is what you're looking for.  ;)
It also can be controlled with guitar volume and tone knobs as well as with it's own controls.

T.M.K. is a great little circuit! But im looking for another effect. I know T.M.K. is a fuzz with lots of possibilites, one of them is oscillation. But Im looking for something similar to EHX MicroSynth (the filter section) or something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQXAegFyb9A at 2:17

DDD

AFAIK The Muse are fond of using Fuzz Factory. Maybe...?
Also, emitter follower with frequency-dependent positive feedback is good for you? It has a resonance peak followed with sharp highs roll-off, and easily oscillates.
By the by, one BJT totally  :)

SISKO

Matt Bellamy (Muse`s guitarist) started to use (and abuse!) the FF on the second album. This video was done before he get to know the FF.
He uses this kind of filter on a lot of songs, and AFAIK this sound came from his Roland VG-8 Guitar System.

Quote from: DDD on December 02, 2010, 02:31:40 PM
Also, emitter follower with frequency-dependent positive feedback is good for you? It has a resonance peak followed with sharp highs roll-off, and easily oscillates.
By the by, one BJT totally  :)

This sounds pretty interesting! Although I dont fully understand the "frequency-dependent positive feedback" part, or at least how to achieve with only one BJT!
If you could enlight my way here, I would be truly thankful

DDD

Pls take a look at the schematic here:
http://valueguitar.by.ru/projects/pr0012/Zvox1.jpg
The central part of the circuit is just an "emitter follower with frequency-dependent positive feedback".
The filter begins with R22 (200 k) and ends at the left pin of R9 (2,7 k). Also omit D5 and D6 diodes.
Pots control frequency and Q-factor.
5,6 pF capacitor from ground to the base terminal of Q2 is very important since it can reduce oscillation at all.
The circuit is very sensitive to the components values. Play with them a little bit and you'll get quite controllable oscillation.
The filter is not pretty good, but it's pretty simple.

SISKO

Sorry for my late reply!
That circuits looks interesting ;) Im going to breadboard it and see how it comes!
Thanks for the circuit