Digital Effects Stompbox Kit

Started by markseel, December 01, 2010, 06:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markseel

Would anyone be interested in a digital effects stompbox kit using the NextDSP module and a solid aluminum case?  The case is expesive  but if there's enough interest then I could have them manufactured in volume.  The price would be pretty reasonable then.

* Stompbox Case

- Milled from solid aluminum block and anodyzed black
  - Dimensions of 3.5" x 3.5" x 1.2"
  - 2.5" x 1.2" x 0.010" (corner radius of 0.100") recess on the top for your own label
  - Four knob holes with counter-bore for recessed knobs
  - Two drilled and threaded jack holes on left/right sides for input and output jacks
  - Two drilled and threaded holes on back side for power jack(s)
  - One drilled and threaded hole on top (bottom left) for bypass switch
  - One drilled hole for bypass LED
  - Two small drilled and threaded holes for internal mounting of DSP carrier board
  - See pictures of slightly smaller three-knob versions for illustration at:
     'http://picasaweb.google.com/mark.seel/NextAudioDigitalAudioSignalProcessor#5471968000147775970'

* 10-pin NextDSP board

- See 'https://sites.google.com/site/nextaudiodsp/'; or threads on this forum for more details

* DSP carrier board

- Small 1.0" by 0.6" board that mounts inside the case
  - 10-pin socket for one DSP board
  - Buffer for guitar input
  - Switched capacitor voltage divider and 3.3 volt regulator for DSP board
  - Soldering pads/holes for audio jack wires, power jack wires, LED indicator wires, bypass footswitch wires and pot connections
  - Two mounting holes

* Hardware

- Case bottom lid and screws
  - Four aluminum knobs (anodyzed clear or anodyzed black)
  - Two Switchcraft 1/4" audio jacks
  - Two Switchcraft power jacks (only need one but you could use two, wire together and use to daisy-chain external supply)
  - DSP carrier board screws
  - Four Alpha 9mm Pots

RonaldB

slotbot

not to say the whole package deal wouldn't sell, but if the main concern is getting enough buyers into the case, you might want to also post the cases for sale without the dsp module. they  are very nice so you might be able to get some additional interest in them that way.

armstrom

you could look into having a custom casting made for that enclosure design. It would probably save you quite a bit on cost as long as the production run were high enough.

markseel

Quote from: armstrom on December 02, 2010, 01:06:35 PM
you could look into having a custom casting made for that enclosure design. It would probably save you quite a bit on cost as long as the production run were high enough.

At the risk of making this thread about materials and machining rather than DSP  :icon_eek:

I've never looked into casting.  I know that those off-the-shelf powerder coated cases used for most boutique and DIY stompboxes are cast aluminum.  These cases use an aluminum alloy that's high in silicon content which makes them a poor choice for anodizing and therefore they're generally sold uncolored or powder-coated.  The aluminum oxide doesn't build up evently or very thick and therefore they don't take up the dye very well.  6061 and 6063 aluminum alloys work very well for anodizing and coloring so that's what I use for milling.  If I cast these cases then I'd have to consider either no coating or power coating.  I really like the look of matte anodized aluminum.  It's also makes these cases more unique (but maybe more expensive).

My last quote for milled, finished and anodized 3.2" x 3.2" x 1.2" cases was $39 per case in lots of 100.  That's from a local company so I could pick them up and avoid the shipping cost.  I may be able to push the per case cost down by $10 or so if I look around (perhaps a machining outfit in Asia rather than the US).

jefe

Quote from: markseel on December 02, 2010, 01:54:52 PM
Quote from: armstrom on December 02, 2010, 01:06:35 PM

At the risk of making this thread about materials and machining rather than DSP  :icon_eek:

I've never looked into casting.  I know that those off-the-shelf powerder coated cases used for most boutique and DIY stompboxes are cast aluminum.  These cases use an aluminum alloy that's high in silicon content which makes them a poor choice for anodizing and therefore they're generally sold uncolored or powder-coated.  The aluminum oxide doesn't build up evently or very thick and therefore they don't take up the dye very well.  6061 and 6063 aluminum alloys work very well for anodizing and coloring so that's what I use for milling.  If I cast these cases then I'd have to consider either no coating or power coating.  I really like the look of matte anodized aluminum.  It's also makes these cases more unique (but maybe more expensive).

Offering machined cases seems like a lot of trouble to go through, just to offer anodized aluminum. It's a DIY kit, why not let the builder decide how to finish it? Then you could use any old cast enclosure.

markseel

Thanks for the idea jefe.

If the DIYer received an unfinished case then it would be unlikely that they'ed anodize it (IMO).  Home anodizing is possible (I've done it - pretty fun but it take a little practice) but the case would have a lot of surface area requiring 3 or 4 watts of regulated power and a decent sized sulfuric acid bath (lot's of info on the web!).  The DIYer could maybe get it powder coated - or polish it to a shiny finish - or bead blast it for a matte look - or leave it unfinished.

Sounds like we could maybe machine x number of cases and then anodize only a portion of that.  That was the volume would be kept up for the milling process.

jefe

Quote from: markseel on December 02, 2010, 02:10:55 PM
Thanks for the idea jefe.

If the DIYer received an unfinished case then it would be unlikely that they'ed anodize it (IMO).  Home anodizing is possible (I've done it - pretty fun but it take a little practice) but the case would have a lot of surface area requiring 3 or 4 watts of regulated power and a decent sized sulfuric acid bath (lot's of info on the web!).  The DIYer could maybe get it powder coated - or polish it to a shiny finish - or bead blast it for a matte look - or leave it unfinished.

Sounds like we could maybe machine x number of cases and then anodize only a portion of that.  That was the volume would be kept up for the milling process.

Actually, I was trying to say you should ditch the whole machined enclosure idea, because it sounds too expensive... but you're welcome!  :icon_wink:

Personally, I'd prefer a kit with NO enclosure, because I'm a DIY'er and can make one myself, that would be truly one-of-a-kind. But maybe that's just me.

jefe

Another thought: offer the kit in a variety of ways, give the buyer some options:
- machined, anodized enclosure
- machined, unfinished enclosure
- cheap cast enclosure
- no enclosure

jefe