What types of capacitors, and what values, are these from left to right?

Started by stompboxnoob, December 03, 2010, 06:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stompboxnoob

To start, I am building a Dr. Boogey pedal (from gaussmarkov) and I'm new to this whole electronics thing. I just wanted a good quality pedal for cheap and I thought it would be cool to make one myself.  I used the list that he provided (from gaussmarkov) and went to my local electronics store. Being that I'm new to all this I needed some help and I was in a hurry because I needed to go do some other stuff. I asked one of the employees to help, and they did, but she went really fast when she grabbed the parts and I didn't catch what they all were. So I got home and found that all my resistors are right (except one, I'll go get the right one this weekend) and I think I got most of the capacitors I need. I was checking but the labeling on the caps is confusing me, I've typed in part #'s on the web and gotten places where I can buy it but it doesn't tell me what the values are. So I was hoping with the use of this picture, and the printing on them, someone could help me. I really want to build this, like now. Thanks!

Here's the picture: http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee478/confusionedblender/image.jpg

The cap on the far left reads:
".033(plus or minus symbol)10
100 N"

The center reads:
"20M
C0(could be an O)G
1KV"

and the third reads:
on front:
"CK06
BX
472K"
On back:
"200V
K
8808"

amptramp

The one on the left is probably 0.033 uF 100 volts
Not sure about the one in the middle
CK06BX472K 200V is a ceramic (BX dielectric) 0.0047 uF at 200 volts.  The 8808 is probably 8th week of 1988 date code.  This was originally a MIL-spec device but is superseded by CKR06 established reliability devices.

Taylor

Quote from: stompboxnoob on December 03, 2010, 06:12:38 PM
To start, I am building a Dr. Boogey pedal (from gaussmarkov) and I'm new to this whole electronics thing. I just wanted a good quality pedal for cheap and I thought it would be cool to make one myself.  I used the list that he provided (from gaussmarkov) and went to my local electronics store. Being that I'm new to all this I needed some help and I was in a hurry because I needed to go do some other stuff. I asked one of the employees to help, and they did, but she went really fast when she grabbed the parts and I didn't catch what they all were. So I got home and found that all my resistors are right (except one, I'll go get the right one this weekend) and I think I got most of the capacitors I need. I was checking but the labeling on the caps is confusing me, I've typed in part #'s on the web and gotten places where I can buy it but it doesn't tell me what the values are. So I was hoping with the use of this picture, and the printing on them, someone could help me. I really want to build this, like now. Thanks!

Here's the picture: http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee478/confusionedblender/image.jpg

The cap on the far left reads:
".033(plus or minus symbol)10
100 N"

Probably .033μf, otherwise written "33nf". See here. Technically "100n" might be a value (100nf) but since it is at the end I'd guess it's a manufacturer-specific code.

QuoteThe center reads:
"20M
C0(could be an O)G
1KV"

I would guess 20uf, sometimes written 20mf because u=μ="micro" so "m" for micro. Must be a tantalum cap if it looks like that and has that large value.

Quoteand the third reads:
on front:
"CK06
BX
472K"
On back:
"200V
K
8808"

Are you sure you googled this? :icon_wink:

Welcome to the forum.  :)

stompboxnoob

Awesome. Thanks for the help. I'll hopefully be able to get my pedal done this weekend  ;D