Stompbox "on/off" wiring ideas

Started by Joecool85, December 06, 2010, 10:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markeebee

Quote from: Earthscum on December 07, 2010, 12:48:50 AM
Ya know, the funniest thing about that is that I was actually considering getting a car battery to do just that... yes, a car battery...

I used to work for a company that makes UPS systems, and I 'borrowed' a few 7Ah 12V sealed lead acid batteries and the plastic 'pod' they fit in - they're a little bit bigger than a 1590b, cost about ten quid.  I thought I would be clever and included a big-arse Bulgin DC connector on my pedalboard, so that if there was no AC available I could plug in the battery, and it would be able to run my board for, oh, several days.

Ten years later, I've only ever had the need to use the battery option twice.  And, both times, I had left the battery at home.  And it probably wouldn't have been charged anway.

Might be a good option if you gig regularly, though.

scratch

car batteries are on the heavy side, the UPS batteries if you can find them are more compact ... maybe consider a battery for lawn tractor, still 12V still lots of amps, but more compact that car batteries.
Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...

jefe

I remember someone mentioning motorcycle batteries as well.

Joecool85

Quote from: scratch on December 07, 2010, 09:42:57 AM
car batteries are on the heavy side, the UPS batteries if you can find them are more compact ... maybe consider a battery for lawn tractor, still 12V still lots of amps, but more compact that car batteries.

Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries (which is what a UPS uses) are the best weight per amps ratio if you are looking for amp hours (AH).  Lawn mower batteries and motorcycle batteries are for starting and have very high cranking amps (the max amps it can push at one time) but only mediocre AH.

I've bought SLAs from these guys before with good luck: batteryspace.com
Life is what you make it.
https://www.ssguitar.com