Bazz fuss deluxe transformer and layout questions

Started by meffcio, December 10, 2010, 05:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meffcio

1. Here in Poland it's rather hard to buy some parts such as the 42TM018 transformer used in BFD. But actually it is used only as an inductor. How can I make that kind of an inductor? Or maybe I can take it out from some other audio device?
2. Anyone seen the Bazz Fuss Deluxe pcb layout? Or do I have to make one on my own?

thomasthebuzzard

guitar pickups, small transformers from small stereos and such, contact microphones and other elements with copper coils and magnets.

meffcio

Quote from: Scruffie on December 10, 2010, 08:32:33 PM
http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/circuits/the-deluxe-bazz-fuss-from-home-wreckercom/  :)
Dude, I seen that page about 2 days ago, and totally forgot about it...
I've got a mess in my head. I wanted to look for the Bazz Fuss v3 pcb, and look for the inductor for the deluxe version at the same time, but why build v3 when I already have the deluxe version pcb? That's stupid. But thanks for the reminder ;p

Quote from: thomasthebuzzard on December 10, 2010, 08:27:10 PM
guitar pickups, small transformers from small stereos and such, contact microphones and other elements with copper coils and magnets.
Ok, I have some old old old crappy polish pickups, old radios, cfl lightbulb, etc, but what now? I mean which parameter is the most needed one? Do i just have to measure and find the same resistance and impedance (how to measure that sh..t with only a standard multimeter?)?

thomasthebuzzard

Well, I am no expert on transformers but I actually use the pickup simulator quite a bit in all different kinds of stuff. Though I can't tell you what sort of tech specs you want to be looking for, I can tell you that I have used a bass pickup and a strat pickup in the bazz fuzz circuit. Both sounded different and both gave good results. I also used a 1:1 transformer from RadShack and got the as well as the transformer listed in the schematic from home-wrecker and again they both sounded different but both gave good results. Here is another question that deserves some attention though:

You can also use the other side of the transformer from mouser to make a passive tone control that does a mid attenuator. A cap from the input signal into one end of the transformer and the the other end to ground. Using the center tap for more/less mid control. Could you use this in the bazz fuzz or would plugging a wire into ground kill all the signal?

Is there an expert among us here that can clear up both our questions?
Here is a scheme of the tone control i speak of...

I scanned this from an electronic projects book by craig anderton. It doesn't say who designed the circuit so I am guessing that is also by craig anderton.