triple/quadcaster (3 or 4 valvy) has anyone done it?

Started by runmikeyrun, December 13, 2010, 09:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runmikeyrun

been thinking about it for a while now, just never got around to it, mostly due to cost- 4 tubes, 4 sockets, larger enclosure.  I didnt want to spend a lot of money on something that was really prone to noise or oscillation.  I built a twin caster and that was kinda cool, but i'm looking to cascade many many gain stages.  I think it could be kinda neat sounding, especially since they are lower gain tubes.  Oh also i'd be using it on bass.  I'd probably source JJ 12AU7s as i like the JJ preamp tubes response on bass.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

runmikeyrun

also, where can i get tube sockets like this, that mount to the chassis?

Bassist for Foul Spirits

Taylor

I guess it depends on the sound you're after. I had a tube preamp some years ago, where one of the channels had something like 9 triode stages cascaded. It sounded pretty much like 80s metal. And I'm also a bass player. I don't particularly like that sound.

Now, of course, the sound of a particular high-voltage preamp won't be the same as a very different preamp run at low voltage, so a direct comparison is silly. That's just my assessment of what cascading clipping stages tends to do.

fpaul

A member here posted a clip of a triple on youtube.  The pedal sounded really good to me.  Sure you could find it by searching the forum a little.
Frank

runmikeyrun

right on, thanks guys.  I found that triple valvecaster on youtube, sounds pretty cool.  Right now i'm using a standard valvecaster to boost into my route 66 and it's adding a good amount of low end and boost to the chain... i just figured why not remove the Route 66 and valvy and put everything in one box if i can.  The triple valvecaster sounds thin to me compared to his clean sound, but i suppose i can always play with coupling cap values and the like.  I'd probably still want more gain, so i'm thinking i'll just go for 4 tubes.  You can never have too much gain, right?  :)

I'm trying to find a domestic source on those tube sockets... so far i've only found them at Banzai and now Jaycar.  Thanks for the suggestion though, if i get desperate i'll know where to go.
Bassist for Foul Spirits