magic bag of parts for experimentation?

Started by taang, December 13, 2010, 09:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taang

Hi,
I've fairly recently began playing with electronics and building guitar pedals (i.e. about a year), and I've decided that I want to explore circuit design a little more in depth than just simply copying a design from a schematic and building. I plan on building a sort of Beavis Board setup so I can test and design a circuit in real time (I don't own breadboard yet).

My question:
I have very very little in terms of parts. Maybe a single resistor and an unused 386 ic. I found this topic on "fake" resistor values and this chart on most common passive component values, which will help me stock up on resistors and capacitors. But, I was wondering if the community had an idea on what other parts (transistors, ics, diodes, electrolytics, pots, etc) would be useful--or if I'm going about this whole thing the wrong way (should I be stocking up like this?).

Cheers

.Mike

There are so so so many topics about this.

Why don't you give the ol' a try?

Suggested phrases:

beginner parts
parts stock
stock list
bench stock

:)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

taang

Ah, thanks! I did do a search, but I guess I was wording it wrong.

Cheers

edvard

I agree, there are so many threads on this, it's not funny.

To get you started down the right path, I bookmarked this one:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=87082.0
this one:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=StockingYourBench
and the diy-fever page.

If you can't stock a bench with those...   :icon_eek:

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

Electron Tornado

Not sure if I would tell someone to "stock up" on a lot of stuff right off the bat. Decide on a project, and buy a few more than you'll need for the specific project. If you're ordering through the internet, then buying 10 or 20 caps or resistors when you need 2 or 3 is a good idea. If you buy at Radio Shack, you usually have to buy a package of 2 or more, so there's usually no need to buy more than a packet of parts.

When you get ready to order parts for subsequent projects, go through all of your parts, along with solder, desolder braid, perf board, pots, IC sockets, etc, and make a thorough list of what you need. Believe me, you'll feel kind of stupid submitting a big order and then realizing you forgot a 50 cent item.  :icon_redface:

Here is an article that will help you find spare parts, and give you an opportunity to get some practice with a soldering iron.  http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/content/spare-parts-save-more-money

You'll be surprised at how quickly you can accumulate parts.

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

snarblinge

start a spreadsheet of parts!

every time I buy new stuff, I check it into the spreadsheet along with it's cost.

I have tables for the main standard builds which can show if I have all the bits to make one right now.

of course parts need to be removed when used. but then I always keep a tally of what was used in each build, both to cost the build and fix or replace if it comes back.

could also set up a table to show what I am out of to make standard pedals. it's hard out for a beginner but then again when everything is in a collection of shoe boxes, it helps to not have to physically search to find out if it should be there.

and i am hardley churning these things out, it's been six months since I have finished a build, but the spreadsheet is right up to date....
b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

Joe Hart

On trash day, drive around and grab old radios, stereo components, etc. Then you can unsolder all the parts you need. At least resistors, caps (I would be wary of old electrolytic caps, they can dry up -- but you can try them just to get a circuit going), diodes, transistors, etc. IC's tend to be a little harder to desolder (use soldering braid if you must). Not only is it free, but chances are the parts used in the things you pick up will be fairly common values. You'll be saving cash, recycling, and getting TONS of mojo!! Hope this helps!
-Joe Hart

edvard

*facepalm*

Forgot about the spare parts idea... Good call.
See this post about building a Fuzz Face with burnt-out CFL bulbs; a classic of scrounging old parts into new.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=70439.0

Two caveats to this:
1- The leads are short.
Problem if you're wanting to experiment with a breadboard.
Not a problem if you're soldering them to another project.

2- Smaller variety of part values.
Sure, you'll probably find a lot of 10k resistors and .022uf caps, but there have many times I've scrounged through my entire salvage box and couldn't find the ONE part I so desperately needed.

On another tip, a lot of electronic suppliers offer "grab bags" of resistors, capacitors, ic's, etc.
Odds are they won't have EVERYTHING you need, but it'll get you started.

Joe Hart

Quote from: edvard on December 14, 2010, 11:31:14 AM
2- Smaller variety of part values.
Sure, you'll probably find a lot of 10k resistors and .022uf caps, but there have many times I've scrounged through my entire salvage box and couldn't find the ONE part I so desperately needed.

Yes, but for experimenting (or just getting a project temporarily up and running) you can series or parallel parts.

Two 10K resistors in parallel is 5K.

Two 10K resistors in series with one 10K in parallel with both is approximately 6.7K.

Three 10K resistors in series with two 10K resistors in series and parallel to the first three is 12K.

Three 10K in series with three 10K in series and parallel to the other three is 15K.

And you will definitely find more than just 10K's! It becomes a bit ridiculous, but it can get the job done until you get the correct value. Just something to think about!
-Joe Hart

edvard

I totally dig what you're saying, it's just sometimes I wish I just had what I needed without doing math or scrounging for 3 parts that could be done in one and I'm running out of breadboard space...
(24 AWG solid wire makes decent legs for short components, BTW)

Case in Point: I recently built a friend of mine a Tube Screamer clone and I couldn't find two 510k resistors to save my soul.
I was looking for two 220s and 330s which would have made 550k, but I eventually stuck a series 470k and 100k in and called it good.
Sounds just fine.

PRR

> Not sure if I would tell someone to "stock up" on a lot of stuff right off the bat

I can scrounge with the best of them.

But if you are even a little serious, some parts you realy SHOULD "stock-up a little-lot".

Resistors are SO cheap, that the true cost is handling. Whether it is Mouser's staff prying one resistor off a reel, or you hacking one off a VCR PCB.... they are so cheap in BULK that you may as well get the Small Assortment. I think I paid $10 for 1,000 resistors, 20 each of 50 values, and even though I hardly used 10% of the box I broke-even on the one-each cost and way ahead by always having a near-enough value handy.

Caps are also cheap in bulk but there's so many choices. For this field, I'd want 100uFd 10uFd 1uFd 0.1ufd 0.01uFd and 1000pFd all at 16V or higher.

A dozen each 2N3904 and 2N3906. Handful of TL072. Couple LM386. Two 10-packs of 1N4007 (replaces nearly any diode good-enuff, unless it is Zener or Germanium).

Jacks. Battery snaps.

Proto or perf board.

Heavy wood breadboard with a holey metal flange to mount jacks and pots. Pots and jacks flopping around is a bad way to work.

That whole pile-o-parts won't cost as much as one factory pedal, but will get you 90%-99% through most non-delay pedal projects.
  • SUPPORTER

trjones1

For stocking up I seriously suggest Futurlec.com.  Their prices are very cheap and the component quality ranges from ok (the resistors) to very good (box caps).  Shipping takes forever, but if you're not in a hurry you could stock most of your bench for around 25-30 dollars.  Plus I think it's a very straightforward website making shopping pretty easy.