Analog delay sound without the delay

Started by Taylor, December 18, 2010, 04:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

How much of the desired tone is from the BBD, and how much is from the required lowpass filtering?  That IS a lot of lowpass filtering.

Taylor

IMO, it's not just LPF. I have used a variable 8-pole filter - that doesn't really replicate the sound of BBDs.

Mark Hammer

Fair enough.

One of the characteristics of a BBD is that it is a sampled device.  As such, it has a sample frequency, and part of the sonic characteristic is the aliasing.  That aliasing is, of course, part of what the LPF is for, but I imagine it doesn't eliminate all of it.

There have been a number of "under-sampling" effects circuits presented here (e.g., JC Maillet's "Nyquist" circuit plus several others) where the very intent is aliasing.  I wonder if a circuit like that, using a higher switching rate, and suitable LPF, would capture what itis people want.

Taylor

Yeah, Processaurus made a similar comment earlier in this thread - that's a good idea. I've built a few different aliasers so it should be easy enough to try that out.

What do you guys think ZVex is doing in his pedal? He must have a delay line in there if he's got vibrato, so it might just be like a flanger with no clean blend.

teej212

i was at namm and they guy said it was more like a greeting card chip than bucket brigade delay

Taylor

Hmm, but it needs to be able to record and playback at the same time, right? Seems unlikely that those chips could do that.

Otherwise, that would be a great project. Off to check out greeting card chip datasheets - wonder if any of them come in packages other than "black blob".

Strategy

What about looking at circuits similar to RG's Lo Fi machine and/or Tim Escobedo's LoFoMoFo.

I use a 90s Deluxe Memory Man tuned to almost no delay (shortest possible delay time and feedback). the vibrato applied to it is part of the magic and also the fact that the Memory Man distorts easily - it is very nice. I cannot get my Memory Man to hit the ceiling so easily, perhaps that is the difference between the modern MN style chips used (3205s?) in the Boy vs. the 3005s in the Mem Man? 

why not actually do a super short analog or 2399 delay but tune it not for delay but lo fi, distorted chorusy vibrato...? combine the LoFoMoFo circuit with a 3205 based circuit and intentionally OMIT the compander.

Strategy

PS early Vladislav Delay rec's like his Chain Reaction Eps are probably Memory Man on 100% wet signal. Also, there is a great Portland band called Dragging An Ox Through Water who recently told me they run their entire mix through a Digitech PDS8000 (early digitech 8-second delay in pedal format) - the delay time is effected by a photocell with a candle in front of it and that's how they get the lo fi warble.
-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

Earthscum

have you tried just copying the input and output filters and just introducing a 'clock signal' in between? or (maybe it was already mentioned specifically) putting the NA in between the filtering sections.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

Hides-His-Eyes

Quote from: Taylor on January 17, 2011, 04:56:29 PM
Yeah, Processaurus made a similar comment earlier in this thread - that's a good idea. I've built a few different aliasers so it should be easy enough to try that out.

What do you guys think ZVex is doing in his pedal? He must have a delay line in there if he's got vibrato, so it might just be like a flanger with no clean blend.

When I got any answer about it from him he said it was a compressor, loads of filtering and a vibrato circuit. He failed to brag that it was analogue so I expect the vibrato is 2399 based.

Mike Burgundy

Quote from: Taylor on January 17, 2011, 04:56:29 PM

The lofi loop junkie? That was discussed quite some time ago - with Zachary chipping in if I recall correctly. It's a memocorder/sample toy chip. Smallbear has them. I'm not too sure if I remember this correctly, buit I'm pretty sure the modulation/vibrato is done by modulating the power supply, or could easily be done so. Search should come in handy here.

Taylor

Quote from: Mike Burgundy on January 18, 2011, 06:42:49 AM

The lofi loop junkie? That was discussed quite some time ago - with Zachary chipping in if I recall correctly. It's a memocorder/sample toy chip. Smallbear has them. I'm not too sure if I remember this correctly, buit I'm pretty sure the modulation/vibrato is done by modulating the power supply, or could easily be done so. Search should come in handy here.

No, see the link I posted on the first page:

Quote from: Taylor on January 17, 2011, 03:08:03 PM
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/zvex/instantlofijunky

Mike Burgundy

Ah, woops - didn't know that one yet. Confound those confusing names ;)