Basic Question

Started by stratosteve, December 18, 2010, 09:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stratosteve

So, I've been working on building this pedal for a while.
//http://www.runoffgroove.com/thor.html

I finished and it sounds great except I'm getting a lot of noise out of it.
In trying to find the problem I noticed that if I connect the input jack directly to the output jack via my protoboard I get noise when I plug in my guitar and amp.
Why is this?
I also tried connecting two guitar cables, one coming from my guitar and one going to my amp, + - +, ground - ground, with aligator cables and the noise is still there.
Anyone know why?

John Lyons

Bread boards are not shielded and are often noisy.
It's it's a little hum then most likely it will clear up when installed in a
shielded metal box.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

stratosteve

I thought it might be because of the protoboard. I still don't understand why I get noise when I connect my cable coming from my guitar to the cable going to my amp using alligator clips. Anyone know why this is?

runmikeyrun

what kind of noise is it?  Is it a buzz?  hum?  hiss?  does it make the same kind of hum when you unplug a guitar with the amp on?
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

PRR

> why I get noise when I connect my cable coming from my guitar to the cable going to my amp using alligator clips

Go a mile away from any power line. You can run un-shielded cables and circuits without catching buzz.

In any normal situation (workroom, house, stage) there's power wiring EVERYWHERE around. Typically 120V. Guitar signal is typically 0.1V, so "audible buzz" relative to guitar is 0.01V or so. Even if that 120V in the walls leaks only 0.01% into a cable several feet away, it will be audible.
  • SUPPORTER

stratosteve

The noise is the same as the hum when I unplug my guitar. Thanks for the alligator clip explanation PRR.