Still Hammerin' Away at Tri-Vibe Build

Started by RickS, December 21, 2010, 01:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickS

Quote from: B Tremblay on January 13, 2010, 08:55:32 PM
An official PCB layout, created by John Lyons, has been added to the Tri-Vibe project: http://runoffgroove.com/tri-vibe.html

Please note that the schematic (and perfboard layout as well) has been updated.  The input and output caps of the mixing stage (U1b) were corrected.  The 1uF nonpolarized cap is now 220n and the notation of the output cap polarity was backwards.  Apologies for this oversight.

I abandoned my Veroboard build, as I was unable to find the source of my problems, and decided that ROG's perfboard layout, being the original, should be best.  After beginning the new build, however, I noted that the schematic on ROG website shows one of the 1mF caps electrolytic, and one of them is non-polarized.  It appears that on the schematic, and on the perfboard layout, it has not been changed to 220 n as noted by B Tremblay back in January, as quoted above.

Also, the perfboard layout on ROG's website shows two 1mF caps, both of these are electrolytic, and the Official Build photos posted on ROG's website also clearly show electrolytic caps in the positions where the caps are shown on the perfboard layout.  The values cannot be read, but they both are larger caps, look the same size, and at least look like they're probably 1mF's. 

The polarity for the output (electrolytic cap) has been reversed from the original perfboard layout, as noted in the quote above.

I'm a little confused.  Should both caps be 1mF electrolytics as shown in the perfboard layout and build photos?  Or as noted in the schematic, with 1 electrolytic at the output, and one non-polarized 1mF cap at the input of U1b?  Or should the non-polarized cap shown in the schematic be changed to 220n (nonpolarized)? 

Anyway, can someone straighten me out?  I have a couple of 1mF electrolytics on order, but also have some 1mF non-polarized caps I can use, too.  I'm building ROG's perfboard layout, substituting the NE5532 for improved performance as noted in later posts on the subject.

Thanks,
Rick

B Tremblay

First off, I'm sorry to hear that the process of building a Tri-Vibe has been frustrating for you.

Secondly, thank you for noticing the inconsistencies between the schematic and perf layout.  The corrected up-to-date versions are now online.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

El Heisenberg

I tried both caps for the output. Cos I didn't have the right cap when I first put together the PCB. I changed it later, but there's no difference in sound.

I couldn't get this circuit to work on the breadboard. Ever. I tried and tried. I think my breadboard is dead. Too much stickin oversized leads in there. I didn't wanna take the risk of building it on perf and having the problem been a crap cap or dead ICs the whole time, so I orderd the PCB from Basicaudio. It's freakin huge. If I could etch my own I coulda gone with Andres that can fit in a 1590B or even A enclosure. The pedal is more suited for the 1590B size. I find I wanna move it to the front of my board, but since it's so huge I just leave it at the end.
"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

RickS

Quote from: B Tremblay on December 21, 2010, 06:02:05 AM
First off, I'm sorry to hear that the process of building a Tri-Vibe has been frustrating for you.

Secondly, thank you for noticing the inconsistencies between the schematic and perf layout.  The corrected up-to-date versions are now online.

Thanks for the fast response.  No apologies necessary.  I enjoy the tinkering, and imagine that I'm becoming a better builder because of it.  Learning new stuff all the time, and enjoying everything about ROG!  Thanks for updating the schematic and perf layouts.  I'm sure I'm not the only pedal builder wannabe who really appreciates you not only developing and posting your great work, but sticking with it long after it's launched to help out us noobs!  Again, many thanks!

Quote from: El Heisenberg on December 21, 2010, 07:56:46 AM
I tried both caps for the output. Cos I didn't have the right cap when I first put together the PCB. I changed it later, but there's no difference in sound.

I couldn't get this circuit to work on the breadboard. Ever. I tried and tried. I think my breadboard is dead. Too much stickin oversized leads in there. I didn't wanna take the risk of building it on perf and having the problem been a crap cap or dead ICs the whole time, so I orderd the PCB from Basicaudio. It's freakin huge. If I could etch my own I coulda gone with Andres that can fit in a 1590B or even A enclosure. The pedal is more suited for the 1590B size. I find I wanna move it to the front of my board, but since it's so huge I just leave it at the end.

El, I also enjoy your posts and comments.  I hope my experience is different from you, because I thought when I'd found the discrepancy in the cap polarity vs non-polarity, I'd found the problem that had eluded me on my Vero build attempt.

From my limited perspective, breadboarding this,  for someone like me, is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.  You want to test it, make sure your parts are working, but with so many parts, breadboard ends up a real rat's nest, and due to size, can't lay it out as illustrated, so there's a lot of shifting, alternate placement, etc. all of which can make for non-functional, noisy breadboard circuit, in my experience. 

I have to agree with you, for the more "complex" builds (i.e. lotsa parts), a PC board is the way to go--either etch your own, if there is a good pattern, and you've got the ability and materials to do it, or better yet, buy one from somebody who's done it before, knows what they're doing, and has built a good-working pedal from their PC board.  I share your fear about finishing up the perf build, to find serious problems.  Troubleshooting this baby's gonna be a job.  But hell, I do this because I enjoy it--maybe even learn something along the way. 

I think you and a few others have had some dust ups over box size--personally, I don't much care so long as the box can reasonably be called "pedal size"  I am in awe of the guys who can visualize, design, and build these things almost on a micro scale, but with my (lack of) skills, fat, stubby fingers, and old eyes, I have to opt for bigger.  I was going to try and stuff my Tri-Vibe into a Small Bear BB box, but have now decided that'll be iffy, at best, so gave myself a break and have ordered up SB's 125 BB box.  Assuming my perfboard build works well, that should be plenty of room for everything.

Thanks again for the responses!

Rick