Timmy and Dr. Boogie in a 1590BB - too tight?

Started by spargo, December 21, 2010, 03:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spargo

I'm currently considering building a 2-in-1 pedal, a dual overdrive/distortion.  Ideally it would fit in a 1590BB enclosure.  I'm pretty good at cramming things into a small space (I design boards in Eagle to be as squished as possible).  I recently put an orange squeezer with an input buffer in a 1590A.

My question is, do you think it would be possible to fit a Timmy and Dr. Boogie in a 1590BB enclosure?  It would need to include two bypass switches.

Hides-His-Eyes

I think if you did everything onboard, and used 9mm pots, it could be done, but you'll have to put your PCB skills where your mouth is!

I personally would prefer to just use a 145*95 (I think those are Eddystone only though) though.

spargo

Would putting things onboard really save a lot of space?  I could easily place the board on top of the pots in the enclosure.  As for the 3PDT switches, that would make it harder since all of the lugs would have to be routed with traces into the PCB, which would complicate the layout.

Hides-His-Eyes

Putting stuff onboard does save space if you accept that the board must be rectangular. If you don't mind jigsawing it to a weird shape you could get just as much space.

spargo

I've made one project with pots on board...it was very hard to get them to be perpendicular with the board while I soldered the lugs in.  I had to have someone hold it for me.  It had its benefits, but I'm not sure I'd be up to sticking 10 pots on board.