Z Vex "Box of Rock" pots question

Started by soupbone, December 30, 2010, 05:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

I was looking at the Zvex "Box of Rock layout".Some of the pots I'm a little confused about..There's 2 100KB pots(volume and tone)..and a 5KC pot (gain).I was wondering what the "B" and "C" letters mean?There's also another one,but it already says what it is(5K Rev. Log)

scdesigns

The letters tell you the taper of the pot.

A is audio log
B is linear
C is rev audio log

This just represents the what happens when you turn the pot, think of an x an y graph. On a linear pot the rotation will change the resistance on a constant angle of 45degree on the graph, audio is more of a sweep curving closer to the base line and reverse log is just the opposite.

You can find a great wealth of stuff regarding this (not to sound cliched) on google search. Just try googling potentiometer tapers.

twabelljr

Shine On !!!

soupbone

soupbone

Quote from: scdesigns on December 30, 2010, 05:23:51 AM
The letters tell you the taper of the pot.

A is audio log
B is linear
C is rev audio log

This just represents the what happens when you turn the pot, think of an x an y graph. On a linear pot the rotation will change the resistance on a constant angle of 45degree on the graph, audio is more of a sweep curving closer to the base line and reverse log is just the opposite.

You can find a great wealth of stuff regarding this (not to sound cliched) on google search. Just try googling potentiometer tapers.
So,The gain and to other pot are the same pot?

StereoKills

Yes, boost and gain are both 5k reverse log pots. Tone and volume are both 100k linear pots.
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

soupbone

Quote from: StereoKills on December 30, 2010, 08:35:34 AM
Yes, boost and gain are both 5k reverse log pots. Tone and volume are both 100k linear pots.
Aweome!Thanks!