Digitech WH-1 Whammy. How to put back a chip

Started by jettrocker, January 01, 2011, 09:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jettrocker

Just bought a used Digitech WH-1 Whammy on eBay. When I opened the box I heard a rattled sound inside the pedal and unfortunately a chip has fallen off in the transit!

Everything else looks clean.. Can I just put the chip back on the board?

I assume the text on the chip should point the same way as the text on the Malaysia SN74HC373N chip on the board? Is this the right way?

I have heard that if I put the chip back the wrong way the chip might go up in smoke so its very important to get this right.

Thanks!

Fredenando

Hello, the small notch in the chip must match the small triangle on the socket.

Maybe this photos can help you:

Ice-9

The way you have it in your photo in your hands looks the correct way to fit the chip. Pin 1 of the chip is marked with the notch at the end of the chip, holding the chip with the notch to the left, pin one is the first pin on the bottom row of pins. In Fredenando's picture the white stickers have been put on upside down to stickers on your chips, this means nothing other than who put the stickers on put them on thhe other way. Pin 1 is always next to the notch on the chip.

I cant see in the picture of the socket , but you need to check on the socket which is pin 1
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Taylor

I really love the way through-hole digital PCBs look. These days, PCB designs are my major interest in building electronics, actually. The look of those massive wide DIP packages and PLCC chips is really cool. Although, I'm not a SMT hater, and I use SMT chips often these days.

jettrocker

Quote from: Ice-9 on January 01, 2011, 01:07:39 PM
The way you have it in your photo in your hands looks the correct way to fit the chip. Pin 1 of the chip is marked with the notch at the end of the chip, holding the chip with the notch to the left, pin one is the first pin on the bottom row of pins. In Fredenando's picture the white stickers have been put on upside down to stickers on your chips, this means nothing other than who put the stickers on put them on thhe other way. Pin 1 is always next to the notch on the chip.

Thanks for the help... I also found this pictures: http://strangedesign.org/forums/index.php?topic=1289.0

Quote from: Ice-9 on January 01, 2011, 01:07:39 PM
I cant see in the picture of the socket , but you need to check on the socket which is pin 1

How do I check that?