help with +ve/-ve ground switching please!

Started by OCTAF1SH, January 03, 2011, 07:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCTAF1SH

Hi guys, my first post, although I've lurked here a while and always found the answers I'm looking for, so thank you! never posted, as I have nothing, as yet, worth contributing!!

I have bought 2 (1 is a gift) ggg FF late 60s kits, and have got a couple of matched pairs of AC128s to fit, and some BC108Cs, so I can try and see which I prefer. These are the first effects I've built, though I've built a couple of valve amps before.

Obviously the Ge transistors require +ve grounding, and they'll probably only be played with 9v battery, but I will leave a DC socket in there. Having read all I can find on the matter, I just want to see if I've got it completely right in my head! Am I right in thinking, if I have a schematic and wiring layout for a -ve ground circuit, and I switch polarity on the power supply (i.e. switch battery clip polarity on DC socket lugs) and reverse the directional components in the circuit, the caps and trannies, the circuit will become +ve ground, and no components will be harmed in the construction of this effect?! If the only difference bw +ve and -ve grounding is the direction of electron flow, surely this would work? And if I wanted to use a wall wart, I'd have to find one with pos. tip jack. I am assuming pots would be wired the same either way?

thanks in advance,

Wil.

R.G.

I think you have it right. To invert the polarity of a circuit, you reverse the direction of all the polarized parts, change the PNP for NPN, and flip the power supply. If you do this correctly, the circuit still operates correctly.

Remember that "all the polarized parts" includes diodes and polarized capacitors, if any.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

petemoore

Choose a correct schematic of the circuit you want [ignore or insert values as needed].
  Make sure the power supply is sorted out for the transistors you're using: PNP Positive Ground in this case.
  Make the physical board follow the drawn schematic in every way.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.