Testing a MN3007

Started by blooze_man, January 06, 2011, 06:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooze_man

I have a couple MN3007s I got from a broken Rockman. Is there a way to test them to see if they're working?
Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

Scruffie

Fix The Rockman and Put Sockets in it  :)

You'll need to make some kind of Basic BBD Circuit to test them in.

Thomeeque

Hi!

You may try this:

Few notes:

• Use bigger value for C5 (like 150-220pF) to get to normal MN3007 clock range (it is just quick redraw of TZF3007 - TZF (short delay) module, where I am "overclocking" the chip to get shorter times)
  • Preferably use multi-turn trimmer for RT1 for higher precision of VBias adjustments (value is not critical, let's say from 5k to 100k)
  • C2, C3, C4 and C6 values are not critical as well, use anything around (like C2=100nF~1uF, C3=680pF~10nF, C4=1uF~47uF, C6=47uF~470uF)
  • Same for the DELAY pot, bigger value will give you bigger range
  • R6=270R was the lowest safe value where clocks were still ticking for me, maybe use bigger value (like 1k) to be safer..
  • Don't forget to wire pins 7 and 14 of IC2 (drew separately as IC2P) ;)

Usage depends on tools you have on hand. Sinus signal generator and oscilloscope would make it much easier and more effective, but in the worst case you can test it even by ear. Just adjust VBias to value according VBias-VCC graph (e.g. to 3.7V for VCC=9V), plug some signal (e.g. line-out from CD player, /bufferred/ guitar..) to the input and listen somehow signal at the output. You should hear same signal (maybe little louder, not quieter) as on input and it should audibly react to rapid movements of DELAY pot (slight pitch-shifting). If you hear quieter and/or distorted signal, you may try to fine-adjust RT1 (VBias), but it should not be too far from graph value (let's say in +-20% range)..

Good luck, T. :)
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Thomeeque

Quote from: Thomeeque on January 07, 2011, 06:16:48 AM
Just adjust VBias to value according VBias-VCC graph (e.g. to 3.7V for VCC=9V)

Hmm, J.H./R.G. advice to adjust VBias approximately to 4.9V for VCC=9V (in Ultra-Flanger project), so maybe I'm not understanding the graph correctly (I've got lost somewhere in VDD/VCC twisting probably :))..

T.

EDIT: Correct value is probably VBias = VCC - VBias_from_graph :) I did updated picture to v1.1 (reload page)..
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

blooze_man

Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...