Testing a TS808 build before plugging it in to an amp?

Started by neilbeith, January 11, 2011, 10:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neilbeith

Hey,

I'm building a TS808 (specifically this layout) and I was wondering if it is worth testing it before I plug it in, and how I would check it is working properly?

Is there anything negative it could do to an amp if it wasnt working and I plugged it in?

Cheers

milosch

Just keep the volume down on the amp and turn up slowly.  You'll know pretty quickly if there's a problem but I don't think it will hurt it.

tasos

well i have plugged a lot of distortions,fuzz and overdrive on my bass amp...there was really strong strokes on it..[don't insert or unplug connections when the volume is high[ough]] it should work fine...good luck..

familyortiz

I  know a lot of hobbyists don't have access to an oscilloscope and, provided you carefully built an existing design, you could go without, but I always like to do a quick analysis of the output signal with a scope.
There are many subtle negative effects that only be seen with a scope, but also extreme short circuits or other that can wail on an amp.
In either case, the previous suggestion to ease into it makes sense. Good luck.

petemoore

Check there are no shorts in the effect PS +/- are separate, take voltage measurements or..
 Turn the amp pretty low, hit standby, [so you know it's 'on/working], plug the effect/PS in, turn the effect volume to about <1/2 way, hit effect button, see if tone-effect does what it's called or described as, and if the knob functions seem logical.
 A weak link 'can' more easily be found using a booster, it 'boosts'.
 The weak link found usually makes last requests though, often in time for the equipment user to notice, especially when in a test situation.
 Loud jamms is where the user can't hear the ''weak component request'' and so it continues to go unattended, heats and pops, speaker and output transistors come to mind here. The speaker cry was squelched by band-stage sound levels, the transistor output distortion was...all part of the plan I suppose...swipe right hand across knobs a couple times to 10'em, make sure the bass's volume is 10'd, then use thumb 'n fingers to work the 4 strings as hard as possible...he found the weak links [output transistors] and relieved them of the magic smoke by outgassing it.  
 So, yes, but you'd have to really want to, and work stupid at it for a while, or play it at high settings /or/ in conditions where you can't hear what it's 'saying' [ex: the gig really required greater volume attenuation across the stage, or a more powerful amp for you], they only 'just pop all of a sudden' when there's an unrelated problem condition in the amp, or very weak link.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

tg509

Before I plug any of my pedals into my main amp, I plug it into my mini marshall (http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=MS-2%20and%20MS-4 )
Which was bought especially for that purpose!

pazuzu

i'm surprised you didn't just build a ruby or cricket or whatever and put a speaker in it. that's what i did.

thedefog

As suggested, you can just build a mini amp from a LM386n. Or you can always just chop up a pair of old crappy headphones and use alligator clips on your output jack. The gain on a TS-808 SHOULD be enough to hear output through unamplified headphones (I think, correct me if I'm wrong).