Tonebender mKIII / Soulbender mods

Started by stezza, January 14, 2011, 08:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stezza

Hi Guys,

Awesome forum, I'm learning alot from staying up too late reading posts :)

I've just breadboarded my first fuzz pedal, based on the schematic for the boutique bender/soul bender on GGG

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/tb3bb_sc.gif?phpMyAdmin=4a28f86a515b7883e7bc35a68d4e7b6d&phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

It sounds great with my tele and 15W blues custom tube amp.

I've been playing around with all the components trying to tweak the sound to my liking and have a few questions...

1. I want more bass output, as my combo is quite bright, so I increased C6 from 0.1uF to 0.22uF, and while this did increase the bass, the fuzz lost some of its 'mojo' (for lack of a better term). I've also tried increasing C1 with the same effect. Is there any way around this or is it the nature of cap filtering? At the moment the tone pot is permanently at bass setting.

2. This is more of a 'what the #@%' question.
To bias Q3, I tried a 50k pot in place of R8, with no success. Then I started adding 1M resistors next to the 500k trimpot and viola, the fuzz came to life at a Q3 collector voltage of 4-4.5V. Now, here is the weird part. I wanted to measure total resistance of the 2x 1M resistors and 500k trimmer (turned back a bit) in series. When I measure this part of the circuit, all the values are much lower.... total resistance ~600k... when I put together the resistors/trimmer on a isolated part of the breadboard all measures normal ~2500k, as do the individual components. Is there something I don't know re:breadboarding/resistors in series or is it some funky voodoo?